Contributor

Got new desktop; would appreciate suggestions for free antivirus downloads. TIA

Sincerely,

Smiley Embarassedanxiousone

Respected Contributor

I assume you have Windows 10 since you have a new pc.  Free AntiVirus programs are good, just make sure whatever you pick is compatible with Win10. 

I use Avast (free version) and it does the job but I have Win7.

Honored Contributor

Avast is very good.You should also get Malwarebytes, which  you can usee along with Avast.

Contributor

PinkyPetunia, my bad for not telling everyone that I had my desktop designed for what I wanted. I had Windows 7 put into the system because that is what I like. I wouldn't have even gotten a new desktop if the one I had, had not crashed. It was getting old. I also got a good price. Smiley Happy

Contributor

Thank you for your replies. Got 'em both-running now. Sincerely, Anxiousone

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Avast is very good.You should also get Malwarebytes, which  you can usee along with Avast.

I would buy the paid Malwarebytes. It comes with real time protection.  The free one scans a computer very slow.

Contributor

Thanks, nutmeg3. Grand advice! Smiley Wink Anxious.

Honored Contributor

Norton 360 by Symantec has always served us well.  We have our personal account, but Symantec was the program used by our school district...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

nutmeg3 wrote:

ChynnaBlue wrote:

I would buy the paid Malwarebytes. It comes with real time protection.  The free one scans a computer very slow.

All of this!   Avast, even the free version that many of us use, is a very good antivirus.

Malwarebytes, for antimalware, is even better.   I use the paid version on my computers.  The only bummer is that I notice they don't sell Lifetime licenses anymore.  Smiley Sad  So if you have a Lifetime license, hang onto that (I keep a file so I know which license is on which computer) because you can use it on your next computer, when one dies.

I did find some sites that still had Lifetime license for Malwarebytes but I am not sure how comfortable I was with that.  I wanted to get a license for my husband's computer, as all of mine are in use.   But at their site you can just get one year or two year licenses.  It's really not expensive, though.  The two-year is a better deal.

Contributor

Thanks chickenbutt. I am going now to look into the 2 year deal. TY Anxious Smiley Happy