Valued Contributor

? Battery saving on devices?

Regardless that I turn off Bluetooth and WiFi, the battery wears down on devices that are not being used.  Makes me nuts because in a week or so, the device's battery is too low to take the device with me to use it.

Is there a way to actually shut down devices so the battery does not wear down when device is not being used?  Specifically, I have 3 iPads, 2 Amazon (Fire and Reader).

Honored Contributor

Re: ? Battery saving on devices?

Sounds like my phone. I rarely use it and all it does is lose power. I guess I could shut it down. My iPad has a cover that when closed it doesn’t lose ant power at all. Got it at the Apple store.

Respected Contributor

Wish I could give you advice but I have the same issues with my older IPad and Fire tablet. Even after deleting unnecessary apps and dimming my screen both devices still use a lot of battery. My son informed me that because I use both to play games that may be the culprit. My newer IPad has a battery saving mode and it helps to preserve the life of the battery. 

Honored Contributor

several articles out there on how to conserve battery life on your devices

try  a search and see what you find 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would recommend you go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health and check the Maximum Capacity to see how your battery is on each device.  If the battery itself is good - I would go through each of the apps in Settings and make sure the background app refresh is off; then check that none of your apps are running in the background.  Carry an external charger if you can.  It's a pain to carry but it's worth it. 

Respected Contributor

@JGalt   I assume you're closing all the apps every time you shut down, right?  I have a 10" tablet that I rarely use, but whenever I fire it up it still has 100% power (presuming I had charged it previously).  I always close all the apps, then shut it completely down.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

On this I know about because it was happening to me.

I have an Iphone 6 (old(er) like me...and I like it.  I don't want to get another phone because I like the one I have.

Anyway, here's what happens.  As a phone gets old(er) kinda like people the battery doesn't charge all of the way up when it shows 100% it actually isn't 100%.

My son in law knows everything (it's his business) about computers (iphones, etc).

He told me to go to the Apple store and have them put in a new battery.

I actually did it about 1 week ago.  They will tell you just to be sure if you have anything on the phone that might be lost back it up.

But I didn't have anything on there that matters.  Pictures yes, but it odds of loosing them are pretty small when they change the battery, they're just being safe with you.

Anyway, I left it at the Apple store with the technician.  We had lunch and PF Chang and it was ready when I got back (about 1 hour).

It cost (I think around $40 or $50 I can't remember).

It makes all the difference in the world.  The technician will tell you how much battery life you ACTUALLY have before you leave it.

Mine would charge up to 80% but it still bothered me it would be low by evening.  I text my family and friends a lot.

The technician told me it was up to me about getting a new one.  He didn't push for a new battery.  It was my decision.

So, to wrap this up.  Take it to the Apple store, let them see what it charges up to when it SAYS 100% and you can decide if you want a new one.

I'm very, very happy now because it doesn't get low like it used to.  I still charge it every night.  It usually has maybe 20% left on the phone at midnight.  Way, way better than before.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Put it in Airplane Mode until you're ready to use it. Also turn off notifications and location services. Basically you want to turn off settings which are connected to a wireless signal so the device won't keep searching for that signal ...drains battery.

Respected Contributor

@JGalt wrote:

Regardless that I turn off Bluetooth and WiFi, the battery wears down on devices that are not being used.  Makes me nuts because in a week or so, the device's battery is too low to take the device with me to use it.

Is there a way to actually shut down devices so the battery does not wear down when device is not being used?  Specifically, I have 3 iPads, 2 Amazon (Fire and Reader).

That is how they are designed.  Don't like it, turn them off.  Another option, plug them in every night.  You act like battery devices should act like electric ones and always be fully charged and ready to go.  They don't work that way. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Put it in Airplane Mode until you're ready to use it. Also turn off notifications and location services. Basically you want to turn off settings which are connected to a wireless signal so the device won't keep searching for that signal ...drains battery.

Thank you, all, for responding. Tthis comment made me think.  

I had thought by turning off Bluetooth and WiFi, closing all apps I was using,  and closing the cover, nothing was running. That's why I didn't understand how the batteries were being drained. I had done searches a few times trying to get the answer to this dilemna, both on Google and on Apple Support.  I never found anything related to my question.  All the battery draining comments were when the device was turned on, like a phone would be.

I did put some devices on airplane mode but that made no difference.  So thank you for pointing out apps could be running in the background that I don't know about.  I drilled down farther on one of the ipads where I thought I had previously shut down everything I could, but found "Background App Refresh" turned on.

I don't understand what that is, but I am now reading about it on Google. Still confused because some comments say it should be left on.  I'll keep reading until I understand.  Whatever this is, it may indeed be trying to do something it cannot since there is no internet connection,

Thank you for getting me focused so I can do a more intelligent search.

it is curious to me that all my little devices drain batteries even when not being used, but laptop computers do not.