Valued Contributor

Have been looking for a new micro cut paper shredder.

Anyone know of a brand for a home shredder that has a continuous run time of more than 5 minutes?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: At Home Paper Shredders ?

[ Edited ]

I got mine at Costco. I recently used it to shred years of tax information. I did stop every so often to let it rest but it definitely ran over 5 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

I use a Fellowes model and I run it for more than 5 minutes BUT I do stop in between that time to gather more papers to shred, so it's not one continuous feed.  Hope that helps.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently bought one from Amazon - a Bonsaii brand - I love it.  It's advertised as running for 5 continuous minutes, will do 8 sheets at a time, and I love the pull out/see-thru drawer which is so easy to empty.

I only paid $80 for it but there's another version with a 14 sheet/60 minute capacity for $160.

Super Contributor

@Jo1313, I purchased a Royal micro shredder from QVC. I'm not sure of the run time but there are times that I'm shredding quite a bit and it works well. What I really like about it, though, is the drop down bin. All of the other shredders that I have had, you have to dump it upside down. This one I just wrap a garbage bag underneath it, and press the button, the bottom opens and dumps it, close the bottom and it's ready to use. If you have a wider garbage can, you could just release the bottom to empty. It made a world of difference in using it. 

Honored Contributor

I've had two Fellowes machines and both have been great.  The first one didn't die.  I gave it away and replaced it with one that would do more sheets at a time.  It does everything from staples to credit cards.

I've had this one for probably some 15 years or more with nary a problem. 

Funny (weird) story - Like I said, you can shred your credit cards.  Well, I didn't pay attention and when I got my Amazon card renewal I went to shred the former card.    Like an idiot, it didn't occur to me that this card is different from older cards in that it's made of metal.

Turns out it says right on the back of the card 'do not shred'.   Well, I didn't see that (even though I looked - it was tiny print) and proceeded to put it in the shredder.   It got caught almost half way through.

It was a bear getting that thing out of there but I finally did and  then I tried putting something else through it and it worked like a charm!  (WHEW!)   That was scary because I'm really big on taking care of my things and not doing stupid stuff to ruin my things.   That day I did not pay proper attention.

Moral of story:  I'll stick with Fellowes.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have an older but very reliable Fellowes shredder which I use daily in small batches. But when I have a lot of documents that need shredding I save them in a box and when that gets full I take it over to my local FedEx for shredding over there. They charge $1.49 per pound at my FedEx store.

Trusted Contributor

I have had my Fellowes shredder for several years. I tend to use it every other day or so. I don't like saving up a bunch of papers and spending more time doing it. I bought mine at Costco, so if it ever stops working, I can just return it.