Esteemed Contributor

Apple’s Customer Service 👎

I've seen various comments about the level of customer service from various companies this year, but I didn't realize Apple is one of the worst. 

Last week I decided to make an appointment at the Genius Bar to drop off one of our MacBook Pros that shuts down a few times each day and needs a new battery. I was surprised that none of the Apple Stores in my area are making appointments. So, I accessed the chat on Apple's website and asked if I can just drop it off at one of the 4 Apple Stores in my area even though I don't have an appointment?  They said no.

Only option for repair is to mail it to Apple. Okay, I'll do that. I share my Apple ID and I'm told they will send an email with a link to enter my credit card because they need to put a hold on my credit card before they will process the mail-in request.  Okay, how much will that cost? They don't know. It depends on what needs to be done. Okay.

4 1/2 hours later at 12:35 a.m. my phone chimes with a text from Apple wanting to know info about my computer. Really? I sat there all evening waiting for the email with my credit card in hand, but it never came. Then they want to proceed with the repair request after I've gone to bed. 

Days later and I still haven't received email to complete mail-in repair request. I guess I should've gotten up and given them the info they requested at 12:35 a.m. instead of thinking I could answer the next day.

Not what I expected from Apple--even in a Covid world.  This experience has made me reconsider the brand for future purchases if this is what it's going to be like to schedule a repair. 

Super Contributor

Re: Apple’s Customer Service 👎

Sorry about your issues....but in my experience I have foud them to be exempelary.

If you access the online store, you option for a call back...BY A REAL PERSON  in the USA....that alone is rare.

You can schedule the time of your call...and they were always spot on.

When I did have to drop something off at the Apple store, they made the apt. for me

I even had one great guy give me his work number....to call in future for issues.  

Again...sorry...

Esteemed Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Sorry about your issues....but in my experience I have foud them to be exempelary.

If you access the online store, you option for a call back...BY A REAL PERSON  in the USA....that alone is rare.

When I did have to drop something off at the Apple store, they made the apt. for me

I even had one great guy give me his work number....to call in future for issues.  

Again...sorry...

@ProudMa That has always been my experience in the past.  However, it seems they've changed their ways since Covid.  I'm wondering how long this is going to continue. . .

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

That has always been my experience in the past.  However, it seems they've changed their ways since Covid.  I'm wondering how long this is going to continue. . .

@wildcat fan It's possible they are following the "Covid 19 guidelines" in YOUR state.

As for your after midnight call/email/text in getting back to you, I agree it was uncalled for.  I'm thinking the error was in the time zone which the texter/emailer did not consider.  You don't mention which state you live in.  Apple's call centers are in Texas as well as California.  If the reps are working from home, then its more than likey they live in those states.  Use to be a call center in N.Y.  Not sure if it's still around.

I've always had exempelary service from Apple.  They have always done right by me.  Matter of fact, over & beyond.  I was never made to go through hoops like you.  Then again, all of my dealings w/them were done pre-Covid.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Again...sorry...

After holding for almost an hour and weeding through all of the automated service prompts, I finally got to speak to a "real person" who told me to take my MacBook Pro to Best Buy.  🙄

They are refusing to make appointments.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

That has always been my experience in the past.  However, it seems they've changed their ways since Covid.  I'm wondering how long this is going to continue. . .

@wildcat fan It's possible they are following the "Covid 19 guidelines" in YOUR state.

As for your after midnight call/email/text in getting back to you, I agree it was uncalled for.  I'm thinking the error was in the time zone which the texter/emailer did not consider.  You don't mention which state you live in.  Apple's call centers are in Texas as well as California.  If the reps are working from home, then its more than likey they live in those states.  Use to be a call center in N.Y.  Not sure if it's still around.

I've always had exempelary service from Apple.  They have always done right by me.  Matter of fact, over & beyond.  I was never made to go through hoops like you.  Then again, all of my dealings w/them were done pre-Covid.

I think Apple must have their own Covid guidelines that they are following.  Salons and other stores at the malls have been open for months, so I doubt this has anything to do with state restrictions.  

I agree that pre-Covid they had good service.  However, this week it's been terrible.  I'm surprised they aren't offering Genius Bar appointments and they ended up telling me to take the laptop to Best Buy.

Respected Contributor

Our experiences with Apple Customer Service have been top-notch.  Don't understand how yours went bad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Our experiences with Apple Customer Service have been top-notch.  Don't understand how yours went bad.

@Cats3000 Have you had an appointment at the Genius Bar since Covid? Curious to know which part of the country you're in if they are allowing appointments in your area.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been having a problem with my Macbook Pro and scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar at the nearest store for Thursday.  They offered me a choice to send my computer in or have an appointment.  I did this online by connecting to the store first.  I logged in with my Apple ID and just chose the product with the problem.  I described the problem and was offered a choice how to address (call, instant message ...), and I chose Genius Bar.

My impression is that all stores are not offering all services.  I found that to be true with other chain stores.  I recommend the poster go online to see if she can schedule an appointment.

Respected Contributor

Fortunately, we've never had an appointment at the "Genius Bar".  We've done all of our support work over the phone and it has been excellent.  We're not "geeks".  The support people have been patient and have explained what they're telling us in terms we can understand.

Do not know about appointments at the nearest Apple Stores.