Respected Contributor

Does anyone know why apple doesn't have a mute button on the iPad?   Their slide bar to lower and raise the sound drives me crazy.  It takes longer, isn't immediate and isn't the easiest to get the volume back where it was.

I've googled and googled asking apple help and other places but get lots of answers close to but not addressing my question.

Believe me when you watch mlbtv most every night showing the same horrible commercials over , you can't get to the slide bar fast enough. 

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal    I've had iPads, several Samsung models, Amazon Fire and a RCA tablet.  None has ever had a mute button.  There is little room for buttons; I think they try to keep them as simple as possible.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Are you doing a live stream from the iPad? I would think there would be a mute icon accessible on the screen somewhere.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

It's strange because I swear my MacBook Air had a mute button. But it is considered a laptop.   I wondered about other tablets.  Thanks for he info.  They have no idea how much more I'd pay for a mute button.  😋

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 

Yes, from mlbtv.com.    I haven't seen one but thanks for the question.  I'll look tomorrow night. 

Respected Contributor

You can try setting it up thru the accessibilty feature.  I have mine set up so there is a "button" on my screen to take me back to the home screen when I tap it once.  When I hold it down, I have it set to take a screen shot. You will probably have to do an internet search for your version of ipad to see how to do ths. 

Honored Contributor

It takes a whole second for me to turn down/off the sound on my iPad with the side buttons. It moves fast if holding down the button.  

You can turn on/off all sounds by doing a down-angled swipe from the top right corner and hitting the sound button. 

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart 

That may be true but when you have to lower the sound and then raise the sound dozens of time during what you are watching, it is infuriating.  And it takes more than one second to lower and then raise the sound to the level you were using. 

Valued Contributor

@Bridgegal , I also very much wish for a mute button..makes me nuts they have all kinds of buttons that I don't know what they do and I'm not interested.  A mute button would add quality to my life:  just touch mute to turn off sound and touch again to resume sound at the previously set level. I don't think convenience features are high on Apples list.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal   Apparently, there is a "mute" symbol according to the following.......

How to Mute iPad & Turn Off Sound

To mute the iPad and silence all audio and sound from the device, do the following:

• Press the Volume Down button on the side of the iPad or iPad Pro repeatedly until the screen shows “Mute”

How to mute iPad and silence audio with Volume Down buttons

SOURCE:  osxdaily.com/2019/01/31/how-mute-ipad-turn-off-sound/

At the above copy/paste website, it shows other ways to "mute" an iPad.  I gather you can pick the one that works best for you.

HTH

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif