Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone else having problems with getting Windows updates on Windows 7 computers?

@qualityshopper wrote:

Glb613--thanks for the advice. I keep trying to fix the issues MS has created, but may have to do this. Just wondering, doing a system recovery is not quite the same as doing a factory reset, right? (It's been years since I did anything like this, so I've gotten a little confused.) If I'm understaning correctly, I should try a system restore first. Is that correct? Thanks.

I forgot to also ask if it's better to do this using the partitioned hard drive or the recovery discs? I feel really stupid asking about this since it should be basic knowledge, but as I said, it's been a really, really long time since I've had to do anything like that. Sorry.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else having problems with getting Windows updates on Windows 7 computers?

@qualityshopper wrote:

@qualityshopper wrote:

Glb613--thanks for the advice. I keep trying to fix the issues MS has created, but may have to do this. Just wondering, doing a system recovery is not quite the same as doing a factory reset, right? (It's been years since I did anything like this, so I've gotten a little confused.) If I'm understaning correctly, I should try a system restore first. Is that correct? Thanks.

I forgot to also ask if it's better to do this using the partitioned hard drive or the recovery discs? I feel really stupid asking about this since it should be basic knowledge, but as I said, it's been a really, really long time since I've had to do anything like that. Sorry.

What I'm talking about is a factory reset or putting it back to the out of the box condition.  You can use either the discs or partition.  I find the partition is easier since you don't have to be there to change the DVDs when prompted.  Make sure you save everything before proceeding.   

Valued Contributor

Glb613--Thanks again for your help. Always so appreciated. Looks like I won't have to do a factory reset after all. After doing some more research online, I finally found a solution to getting back the option to check for Office updates. Microsoft caused me a lot of grief, but I've managed at last to fix everything (at least until the next patch Tuesday). Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

One more thing you may want to consider, @qualityshopper ... now that you've got your option for MS's other product updates again...  I've found that it's better to wait on updates for a week or two after they appear by disallowing automatic updates in settings.  MS isn't great about debugging their work so the delay gives time for fixes to be put through before you're affected.  This is recommended by some of the gurus online and has served me well here.Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update to Windows 10 can be completely removed from your Windows computer.

I removed it a while ago.

I not only did not want those pop up reminders to update to windows 10, I wanted windows 10 completely removed from my WIndows laptops, and pc's.....and away it went.......Good riddance to more Microsoft's garbage.

It was easy..... so just Google how to remove windows 10 update from your windows computer, and follow those prompts.

At least I don't have vast updates and junk to do when I use my macs and Imac's. They do not have all the endless problems Windows has, but for business reasons we still need windows......or we would solely be a mac family.

Valued Contributor

Gokat--I've always had my updates set to automatically install, but I've got it set now to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."  What surprises me about this setting is that some of them will still go ahead and install when you shut down, even though you haven't chosen to do so. Guess you have to be sure to uncheck any that are selected before shutting down if you don't want them. Probably better to choose to never check for updates, and then just do so manually about a week or two (as you suggested) after Patch Tuesday Guess I've been really lucky in that this is the first time in all these years I've ever had a problem with MS's updates. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be the last time.

Valued Contributor

Adoreqvc--I'm getting rid of Windows 10 updates in my system today. This computer is just too old to work well with it (I briefly tried it on here once before). Maybe someday, I can get a mac. Would love to have one.

Respected Contributor

qualityshopper good luck removing Windows 10 completely from your pc. It is not hard but very quick and easy.

If and when you buy your Mac you will really love it, and if we did not need Windows for certain business reasons and apps needed, we would only be a Mac family.

As they say "Once you get a Mac you never go back".... to also using Windows electronics, unless it is for a business related reason".