Valued Contributor

Anyone else having problems with getting Windows updates on Windows 7 computers?

[ Edited ]

Just curious if others are having issues with not being to check for updates since the most recent patch Tuesday. I have a Windows 7 laptop that has never had any issues looking for updates, or downloading and installing them--that is, until this most recent batch of updates. Right after installing most of them, had problems being able to install the remaining two, either automatically or manually. Finally took care of that, but also discovered can no longer check for updates. It just spins endlessly. Since had already installed updates from Tues., I know there shouldn't be any other updates that would account for the length of time it is taking.

I've done everything I could think of to do to fix the issue, as well as to spend hours trying to get help from Microsoft. Such great customer service! Repeatedly, for three days now, I've been promised call backs which never happened. I've had to call them over and over. The first level tech couldn't fix it, nor another level two tech. In fact, this tech basically disappeared. We had discontinued our phone connection, but he had remote access. After an extremely long time, I tried to communicate with him through our connection, only to get no response. Had to call again and get someone else to go through his connection. This new guy was a real jerk and, rather than try to fix the problem, did nothing but talk about upgrading to Windows 10. Tried again today to get help (had to call twice--each time being promised someone would call back, but didn't), and finally got the same jerk. So, guess I won't be able to get any more updates.

Can't help but wonder if this is deliberate to push us to upgrade to 10. I'm not the only one to be having this particular problem according to one of the techs. He said others who have Windows 7 are also having this exact same issue, so they know about it. I don't want to upgrade to 10 on this particular computer because when I tried before, it didn't perform as well. Apple is looking more and more appealing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else having problems with getting Windows updates on Windows 7 computers?

The other while shutting down I got a message that it would shutdown after updates. The next day when i booted up my laptop I got a message that I had been upgraded to Windows 10 and I just had to accept to the conditions to continue.  I am constantly getting pop ups to upgrade to 10 but I "x" out of it.  Now I don't know how it started the upgrade without my request, but it did.  I tried three times to decline and it finally went away. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else having problems with getting Windows updates on Windows 7 computers?

Get into the control panel, programs and features and uninstall the most recent updates. 

"Because updates can enhance the security of your computer, it's best not to remove an update unless you're certain that it is causing a problem. Take these steps to be certain you want to remove an update:

1. Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.

2. Select the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation."

Honored Contributor

I've had this problem too.  At some point in the last six months, I started to have problems with auto updates.  Now I don't think they work at all.  Fortunately, my McAfee software looks for Windows updates at least once a week and installs them, so I think I'm okay.  I suspect you're right - this is MS's not-so-subtle attempt to force us into Windows 10.

Respected Contributor

This is exactly why I didn't go to Windows 10!

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

This is exactly why I didn't go to Windows 10!

Window 7  has been around a long time. It may be time for people to backup their data and look for a new computer.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

Get into the control panel, programs and features and uninstall the most recent updates. 

"Because updates can enhance the security of your computer, it's best not to remove an update unless you're certain that it is causing a problem. Take these steps to be certain you want to remove an update:

1. Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.

2. Select the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation."

Removing Window Updates can make a computer stop running.

Respected Contributor

I've removed a Windows update that caused a conflict and nothing bad happened.  In fact, the computer started working correctly again. 

Valued Contributor

Glb613--I've actually restored my computer back to previous dates twice now (dates back in March), which of course, got rid of the latest patch Tuesday's updates. Didn't help. I've checked to be sure local services are running, did a system scan, two Malwarebytes scans, ran the MS troubleshooter, the FixIt tool, diagnostic scan--nothing fixes the problem. Microsoft did their thing, including installing their standalone installer. This thing ran for about 90 minutes, and only found one update in all that time, which was already installed. They say there's nothing else they can do except to set it back to factory conditions. Well, I can do that myself. Frankly, though, I don't know what good it would do to do so because, if something in their updates caused this, then when I would run updates again, I'm guessing I would encounter the same problem. Right now, my computer has been set back to March 22, and I have no way to run the "check for updates" feature to get back those that are gone. It simply no longer functions. According to MS's forums, I'm not the only one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've only had this happen and it screwed my computer so much, I restore it back to out of the box and started over.