Honored Contributor

Re: Anxious/Nervous about dumping cable

[ Edited ]

I may be in the minority here but I would never cut my Comcast cord. Been with them for 40 years, and of course had many ups and downs but it is such an important part of my daily life, my internet, my cable, my land line which I must have, I get free Peacock, free Netflix, I now pay $239, and are there better deals , I am sure there are, but since I am so tech NOT savvy and I can use this and know how to use it, I am keeping it !! I have zero interest in learning a new system or a different way of doing things. I treat myself to so very little in life, I deserve to have this in my home and have the comfort of using it with no anxiety. It is what it is!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I feel you.  It's easy to become complacent and comfortable with what you're used to.  But enough is enough, you are being taken advantage of by Comcast and YOU CAN DO IT!  I live alone and felt your anxiety too, but I'm here to say that I did it, it wasn't bad or even hard.  It's an adjustment, but dive in and figure it out.  You just may surprise yourself and you will most definitely be happy about the money you're saving. 

@Suzeecat  - Thank you for the wonderful encouragement!  I agree about the saving money part.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't nervous about dumping Directv satellite b/c all I did was switch from their satellite service to their streaming service. It's like I never left them. I really like Directv Stream.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL.  I switched a little over four years ago.  I have YouTubeTV and Netflix plus two others for which I don't pay. There's no incentive anyone could offer that would convince me to go back.  I never had so many options before. 

By the way I have TVs with both Fire Stick and Roku.   I much prefer Roku for ease of use and reliability.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I considered droppping my Spectrum service because it keeps going up too. However, I use my DVR every day and you can't "tape" with a streaming service, right? If so, I don't know how to do it. So, I try to negotiate a better price and stay with cable so far. Too bad you can't just pay a reasonable amount for the internet.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

I considered droppping my Spectrum service because it keeps going up too. However, I use my DVR every day and you can't "tape" with a streaming service, right? If so, I don't know how to do it. So, I try to negotiate a better price and stay with cable so far. Too bad you can't just pay a reasonable amount for the internet.

@geegerbee  - you can record with YouTube TV but I'm not sure how to do it either.  Did watch a tutorial video on it and it seemed awkward to me - like you have to record all the shows for a particular program not just an individual show.  I don't record much so didn't pay a whole lot of attention to that part of the tutorial.

Unfortunately, Comcast has now refused to negotiate.  They used to.  They did last year and gave me a 1 year contract.  Was hoping for the same this year but thy wouldn't do it.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JudyL.  I switched a little over four years ago.  I have YouTubeTV and Netflix plus two others for which I don't pay. There's no incentive anyone could offer that would convince me to go back.  I never had so many options before. 

By the way I have TVs with both Fire Stick and Roku.   I much prefer Roku for ease of use and reliability.

@Kachina624  - Thank you for your response.  Don't know why I'm finding this so hard but knowing that you wouldn't go back makes me feel a bit better.

Respected Contributor

dumped spectrum cable and internet and the $206 monthly bill two years ago. Hubby put up an outdoor antenna which gives us our local over the air stations. We have T-Mobile internet for $73/month guaranteed not to increase. We share a sling package with my daughter, our portion $45/month. For a lot less money than our old cable package we have pretty much everything we want and need. FWIW our T-Mobile internet is fast and way more reliable than what we had with spectrum. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

When you record with streaming, it's stored on a cloud rather on a dvr.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I may be in the minority here but I would never cut my Comcast cord. Been with them for 40 years, and of course had many ups and downs but it is such an important part of my daily life, my internet, my cable, my land line which I must have, I get free Peacock, free Netflix, I now pay $239, and are there better deals , I am sure there are, but since I am so tech NOT savvy and I can use this and know how to use it, I am keeping it !! I have zero interest in learning a new system or a different way of doing things. I treat myself to so very little in life, I deserve to have this in my home and have the comfort of using it with no anxiety. It is what it is!!! 

@Shelbelle  - I so understand how you feel and think that ease of use, lack of stress over learning a new system, etc., has been what's kept me with Comcast for so long and is part of my hesitancy for switching.  I also have internet, cable, and landline though Comcast and looked again at the price and it is listed as $239, not the $230 I first thought.  Thank you for your response.