Super Contributor

Can anyone give me advice about android?  I love apple but their phones and tablets are so expensive. 

Im contemplating going with android phone and tablet, but I would like advice from someone who knows if this would be a smart move. 

I dont know anything thing about android so your opinions will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Emily. 

Contributor

I've had a few android tablets, and I would definitely recommend purchasing a Samsung ..... jmo, but it beats Amazon by a mile!

Super Contributor

Thanks for your reply. But I'm dumb. What's the difference between Samsung and Android?  I'm guessing ones the operating system and the other is the brand. 

Im used to apple and iPhones and iPads. Would you be so kind as to explain to this dumb broad?  😂😂😂. 

Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

Android is not a brand. It's a type of operating system found in anything other than Apple products. Samsung and Amazon are both android.

I suggest buying a 'google-certified' tablet. There many to choose from and google certification makes them somewhat more safe and secure when you use the google play store for app downloads.

ETA:  Just be aware that Amazon uses a modified version of android which means you are limited to using their app source (Amazon App Store) and offer fewer numbers of apps than google play store.  Both amazon and google offer many of the same apps but google has more to choose from and many companies choose google app store as their source. But this is quickly changing as amazon is becoming very diverse and is adding many more apps every day. 

Honored Contributor

CNET dot com...search "Best Tablets for 2018". This article has a very nice breakdown of tablets to buy, reviews and product descriptions as well as prices and where to buy.

Honored Contributor

I have never had an I anything - went thru a few cheap android tablets & eventually got a HP chromebook. Loved it but dropped it and broke it - replaced with a Dell chromebook.Love it as well, and I bought the one for kids - it has a rubber case that can take some getting banged up & is also water resistant. Chromebooks are an android product, they don't have a lot of functions (software) but , of course, just like your Apple products - you can find an app for almost anything.

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori I'm not tech savvy either and appreciate your question and the posters smart answers. I've always had Apple tablets and phones. The iPhone cost was getting so out of hand my hubby and I decided to try Tracfone which is a Samsung. We've had them for two years and for the most part very pleased with the android. As for the tablet I have Apple and will probably get another one because I really like it and I think the prices have come down since getting this one 5 years ago. The older I get the less I understand and it's frustrating.

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori - I have been using iPhones for the past 4 years, and I have an iPad; I was totally an Apple girl. But I too was unhappy not just with Apple’s prices but their lagging as far as features for the money. 

I took the plunge in October and bought an Android phone.  There is definitely a learning curve as to how things are done with different OS, and you might need some coaching/help at first, but I’m quite happy with my phone and feel mostly comfortable with it now.

Mine is an LG V30, but it cost as much as the new Samsungs and iPhones, though not as much as the very top flagship models. But there are plenty of others out there.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

Thanks for your reply. But I'm dumb. What's the difference between Samsung and Android?  I'm guessing ones the operating system and the other is the brand. 

Im used to apple and iPhones and iPads. Would you be so kind as to explain to this dumb broad?  😂😂😂. 

Thanks. 

There is Apple (iPhones and iPads) and anything that is not an i-device is an Android OS device, no matter the company - Samsung, LG, etc.

I’m good with my Android phone, but as far as a tablet I doubt I’ll ever switch away from my iPad. If I won’t pay for the phone, I will pay for the iPad.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think too much is made of differences between ios and the Android systems.  I went from an iPad to a Sansung S2 tab and never looked back.  I really dont see huge differences and still go back and forth between the two with no thought or effort.  I like that many Android systems have an expandable memory.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment