Respected Contributor

Amazon Fire TV stick or ROKU?

Which device would you recommend for someone who watches minimal tv and is not tech savy? Also, do these work on tv's that are 5 or 6 years old?

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Fire TV stick or ROKU?

As is often the case, the answer to your questions are: "It depends." Let's tackle the TV question first. If your 5 or 6 year old TV has an empty HDMI input then you're good. If it has HDMI inputs but they're all in use, you have two options. Option one is swapping cords when you want to use your new set top box (STB) and option two is buying an HDMI switch that lets a single input be shared among devices.

As to which device to buy, both will give you all of the mainstream stuff Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, etc., but if you want the more exotic stuff then a Roku is probably a better option. I love my Fire Stick and I've also got their 55" Element Fire TV (which is a tad quirky at times, but I like quirky.) If you have an Amazon Prime membership, then I'd go with the Fire Stick.

Setting up either a Roku or Fire Stick is pretty easy. You simply plug it into an empty HDMI port on your TV, plug in the power, set the TV to the HDMI input you plugged the device into and follow the onscreen prompts. You'll have to give it your WIFI password, wait while it downloads an update, and you'll be good to go. Each channel you select may require you to verify your identity in some manner (typically through your cable company for cable channels) but they'll guide you through whatever they need.(You'll typically be given a code you have to enter at a website to activate that channel on your device. It's pretty easy.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I've used both and I prefer the Amazon Fire Stick.  Much easier to pair with a Bluetooth speaker imo.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Which device would you recommend for someone who watches minimal tv and is not tech savy? Also, do these work on tv's that are 5 or 6 years old?

If you have Apple computers, look into an Apple TV.  While more expensive, you can pair your devices and stream what is on your phone, tablet or computer. 

Super Contributor

Go to Walmart and buy yourself a SmartTV (less than $200.00).....they sell a Roku TV, but I chose the Samsung SmartTV and love it....but regarding your question, you'll probably get a 50-50 response - people like both....I have the FireTV stick 4K that QVC offered at $40+ a few mths ago for my older tv and I love it.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

If you have Apple computers, look into an Apple TV.  While more expensive, you can pair your devices and stream what is on your phone, tablet or computer. 

I agree with @glb613 if you have an iPad, iPhone, or Apple computer.  I looked into the Roku and Fire stick but ultimately went with the Apple TV.  We have really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

I was just wondering, I have four Samsung TVs, two are Smart TVs, two are not. Can you use a streaming device on the non Smart TVs but still keep your cable box, or would they not work well together?

Honored Contributor

@gardenman

Could you please clarify this statement please....?

"(You'll typically be given a code you have to enter at a website to activate that channel on your device."

Are you saying if I want to watch something on HBO, I would have to go to HBO's website to enter a code or to FS website on my computer?

If from the tv, do you enter codes from your remote?  If so, which remote, cable or tv?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was just wondering, I have four Samsung TVs, two are Smart TVs, two are not. Can you use a streaming device on the non Smart TVs but still keep your cable box, or would they not work well together?

@Jordan2 Our Apple TV is connected to a non-smart Samsung.  At first we also had a cable box connected to it, so we were able to do both.  We decided to cancel cable, though, and now have an indoor antenna connected to that TV along with the Apple TV.  The Samsung remote allows us to go back and forth between the devices by selecting the Source button.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@gardenman

Could you please clarify this statement please....?

"(You'll typically be given a code you have to enter at a website to activate that channel on your device."

Are you saying if I want to watch something on HBO, I would have to go to HBO's website to enter a code or to FS website on my computer?

If from the tv, do you enter codes from your remote?  If so, which remote, cable or tv?

What happens is when you install an app on the device, it'll give you a code (something like 123SDFGH) and have you go to a site like CBS.com/activate on your computer/tablet to enter the code and then the app will be usable. It's not hard. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!