Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Fire TV stick or ROKU?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Excuse me for not knowing....but I thought most people knew about the antenna thing. I've always had an antenna on my TVs like forever. It's the only way I can get local channels when my satellite goes out and before I had satellite, it was cable. That was always going out. 

@SilleeMee. Most people get the local channels on their cable or satellite.  I know I and my neighbors do.  My satellite rarely went out so it wasn't necessary to have alternate service.  Maybe yours goes out a lot due to snow?

Yes, normally my local stations are seen on my satellite. But if that goes out, with snow like you mentioned, then the antenna will pick up broadcast channels. It doesn't happen very often, tg. @Kachina624

Honored Contributor

I've never recorded programs so im not sure thats possible.  All of Netflix and Amazon Video is "on demand" so you watch whatever you want whenever you wish.  There is a program guide on my Sling.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Carolm

My smart tv has a tv guide with my antenna. I do not record anything but I do stream shows that I miss. Most network tv channels have the episodes available to stream through Roku. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Excuse me for not knowing....but I thought most people knew about the antenna thing. I've always had an antenna on my TVs like forever. It's the only way I can get local channels when my satellite goes out and before I had satellite, it was cable. That was always going out. 

@SilleeMee

I think cable & satellite have been around so long that a lot of people assume antennaes no longer work at all.

I’ve tried a few different antennaes but none gave me good reception. The channels I’d like don’t come in at all but I should really learn Spanish because I can get a few of those channels. 

My first antenna is the one that has helped me a little bit; I wouldn’t get any channels w/o it. I’ve tried a couple from Amazon that, according to the marketing, should have given me good reception on a lot of channels. They didn’t work as well as my old one. 

Streaming is definitely the answer for me.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

For those of you who have eliminated cable, what do you do about recording programs.  And do you have access to any on line program guide?  Thanks for your responses.

Don't quote me on this but I think I read somewhere that you can subscribe to a video streaming recording service that you load stuff onto. It's done over the internet  and your shows are stored on a cloud thing. I really don't know much about these kinds of service. Another way to record stream TV is with an actual video recorder hooked up to your TV. I believe many gaming consoles have this capability. @Carolm

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have become spoiled by the Bluetooth capability of the Fire Stick. I paired my wireless headphones to it and the sound is like being in a theater. Very nice.

@willdob3. I'm going to have to try this.  Thanks for the idea.

@Kachina624

Let me know how you like it. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carolm wrote:

For those of you who have eliminated cable, what do you do about recording programs.  And do you have access to any on line program guide?  Thanks for your responses.

@Carolm

With my Fire TV Stick, I just look for the show and the episode I want to watch and I watch it whenever I want. I don’t need a program guide - other than to know when a new episode is going to show up if it is a current show. No need to record. 

That is another thing I love about watching shows this way... I work full time and lots of the good shows are on after my bedtime. With streaming I watch whenever I want.

Honored Contributor

Yes, @willdob3, for me watching TV with my Roku has been life-changing.  I think for those people who want to record livestream programming, then this might require a way to do that like a recorder of some sort which the stick things can't do.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee

I think cable & satellite have been around so long that a lot of people assume antennaes no longer work at all.

I’ve tried a few different antennaes but none gave me good reception. The channels I’d like don’t come in at all but I should really learn Spanish because I can get a few of those channels. 

My first antenna is the one that has helped me a little bit; I wouldn’t get any channels w/o it. I’ve tried a couple from Amazon that, according to the marketing, should have given me good reception on a lot of channels. They didn’t work as well as my old one. 

Streaming is definitely the answer for me.

@willdob3. Here is the antenna I use.  You buy it according to your approximately distance from your local transmitters. I was able to use the cheapest.  All you do is screw it into the back of your TV and hang it on the adjacent wall.  Then run thru your channels to see what you'll get.  I get crystal clear reception.

151063810362851770dcd871a23abd642e2515f0cf5f5af9fe2c58fdce06b51c875d331286e54770c8a5476df942f7915a9de84320eb6ed4c9bf8f9697c503bbbf180ee9b09be.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624,

As you probably already know, one of the many nice advantages of living near a tall mountain is that the radio and TV waves are somewhat easy to get as long as you can see those transmitter towers atop. I got me a cheap set of rabbit ears for about $8 and they work just fine.Woman Happy