Respected Contributor

Amazon Fire TV stick or ROKU?

I am so fed up with Spectrum and seriously thinking of canceling my cable.  Not too knowledgable about streaming.  What is the easiest device to use ?  We are not big tv watchers but we do like options.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Fire TV stick or ROKU?

[ Edited ]

I recently bought the Roku Stick with voice. I based my decision on the many good reviews. CNET dot com has given high praise for many years running for the Roku streaming devices and customers have done the same. You might want to go to CNET and check out what they say about the various TV streaming devices. Just type in Media Streamers in the search box and drop down to Best Media Streamers for 2018.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I eliminated my Direct tv bill by getting an Amazon Fire Stick to stream movies.  I already had movies on Amazon Video with my Prime membership but I also signed up for Netflix which I believe is $7.95/mo.  I picked out a package on Sling with my favorite cable channels which is about $39.00/mo. I bough a Roku Express, $29.99, for my second TV just to compare to Fire Stick.  I like the Fire Stick with Alexa voice control much better.  All the programs I signed up for on the Fire Stick also show up on the Roku except for Amazon Videos.  All these devices are easy to install and use.

Then I shopped Amazon and found an inexpensive interior antenna for $14.   I bought one for each of my TVs and now get all the local channels, dozens of them, crystal clear.  I get QVC, Q2, HSN and JTV which are on UHF.  I get local and national news on NBC, ABC, CBS and I get our PBS channels.  I can also get all the shopping channels on YouTube for free.  I'm paying less than half of what I paid for my satellite service and feel that I'm missing nothing plus I can always find something interesting to watch in the middle of the night.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am so fed up with Spectrum and seriously thinking of canceling my cable.  Not too knowledgable about streaming.  What is the easiest device to use ?  We are not big tv watchers but we do like options.  Thanks for any suggestions.

@bargainsgirl

I cut cable TV years ago. I got a Roku first but last year I got a Fire TV Stick. I don’t really use the Roku anymore. There are more options with Fire TV Stick but, depending on what you watch, it may or may not be better for you. 

I have become spoiled by the Bluetooth capability of the Fire Stick. I paired my wireless headphones to it and the sound is like being in a theater. Very nice.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My nephew did the same thing with the antenna for local channels. Good info, Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Excuse me for not knowing....but I thought most people knew about the antenna thing. I've always had an antenna on my TVs like forever. It's the only way I can get local channels when my satellite goes out and before I had satellite, it was cable. That was always going out. 

Honored Contributor

I have become spoiled by the Bluetooth capability of the Fire Stick. I paired my wireless headphones to it and the sound is like being in a theater. Very nice.

@willdob3. I'm going to have to try this.  Thanks for the idea.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@willdob3. I'm going to have to try this.  Thanks for the idea.

If you have a smart TV with bluetooth capability then you can connect any bt listening device to it. Find it under the speaker settings on the tv.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Excuse me for not knowing....but I thought most people knew about the antenna thing. I've always had an antenna on my TVs like forever. It's the only way I can get local channels when my satellite goes out and before I had satellite, it was cable. That was always going out. 

@SilleeMee. Most people get the local channels on their cable or satellite.  I know I and my neighbors do.  My satellite rarely went out so it wasn't necessary to have alternate service.  Maybe yours goes out a lot due to snow?

Super Contributor

For those of you who have eliminated cable, what do you do about recording programs.  And do you have access to any on line program guide?  Thanks for your responses.