Honored Contributor

Amazon Fire Stick

[ Edited ]

Wondering about these and if there is any extra cost

if you dont want :

Hulu, Netflix, Etc.

When they showed it on Q recently at $39, they said all you need is Wifi and an HDMI port on your TV and you are ready to watch.

Dont want or need Hulu or Netflix but want something for second TV without having to get a second cable box. Already paying alot for cable!!!  Smiley Sad

Thank you!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

They do not come with a subscription to Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Contributor

You don’t need Hulu and Netflix for the Fire stick to work. It will need internet and you will sign in to many channels using your cable provider. I think it’s a good solution for a second bedroom especially if you already have a cable provider. 

Esteemed Contributor

Please check your cable provider about using a Fire Stick instead of a cable box. 

Honored Contributor

I bought one for my mother.  The grandkids hooked it up.  Looked simple enough.  She doesn't have any paid prescriptions.

Honored Contributor

As far as I know a Fire Stick does not provide regular cable, it is for Amazon, Hulu. Netflix and the like

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

As far as I know a Fire Stick does not provide regular cable, it is for Amazon, Hulu. Netflix and the like

Correct- It is to access streaming channels, not cable.

Super Contributor

The Fire Stick is a streaming device. You can also download some cable channel apps. Examples are QVC, HSN, HGTV, DIY, Movies Anywhere, Bravo, ETC. There a lot more. If you already have a subscription or are planning to purchase, you have access to Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video (which is included in your Prime membership, some content is free and some are extra). Almost all cable stations have their content on their apps. 

Valued Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

if you dont want :

Hulu, Netflix, Etc.

When they showed it on Q recently at $39, they said all you need is Wifi and an HDMI port on your TV and you are ready to watch.

Dont want or need Hulu or Netflix but want something for second TV without having to get a second cable box. Already paying alot for cable!!!  Smiley Sad

Thank you!

Who is your cable provider?  I just recently bought a Roku from WalMart for $29 and I can access my Spectrum(Charter) via their app on the Roku.  Works excellent and the OnDemand is much easier than via the cable box. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon Fire Stick

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs wrote:

if you dont want :

Hulu, Netflix, Etc.

Thank you!

I have Apple TV and Comcast but, they all work alike.  I can download apps for a variety of channels.  I downloaded PBS, DIY, HGTV, etc. When I initially opened the apps, I was asked if I have cable which I do.  Once it was verified, I was able to watch on demand content.  You won't be able to watch anything in real time but, if it's a spare room it shouldn't be a big deal.