Honored Contributor

Google PLUS is shutting down.

[ Edited ]

I am bummed out.  Now I have to change email and everything else since google will no longer exist after 4/1.

What other IP provider does everyone recommend?

Thanks.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I am bummed out.  Now I have to change email and everything else since google will no longer exist after 4/1.

What other IP provider does everyone recommend?

Thanks.

they're talking about google plus.  i don't think the email is going away.  

Honored Contributor

G mail is not shutting down

This is the e mail I received, I actually have no clue what a Google + page is 

You've received this email because you have a consumer (personal) Google+ account or you manage a Google+ page.

In December 2018, we announced our decision to shut down Google+ for consumers in April 2019 due to low usage and challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that meets consumers' expectations. We want to thank you for being part of Google+ and provide next steps, including how to download your photos and other content.

On April 2nd, your Google+ account and any Google+ pages you created will be shut down and we will begin deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts. Photos and videos from Google+ in your Album Archive and your Google+ pages will also be deleted. You can download and save your content, just make sure to do so before April. Note that photos and videos backed up in Google Photos will not be deleted.

The process of deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts, Google+ Pages, and Album Archive will take a few months, and content may remain through this time. For example, users may still see parts of their Google+ account via activity log and some consumer Google+ content may remain visible to G Suite users until consumer Google+ is deleted.

As early as February 4th, you will no longer be able to create new Google+ profiles, pages, communities or events.

See the full FAQ for more details and updates leading up to the shutdown.

If you're a Google+ Community owner or moderator, you may download and save your data for your Google+ Community. Starting early March 2019, additional data will be available for download, including author, body, and photos for every community post in a public community. Learn more

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  Google Plus is shutting down.  I never used it .

Google will reportedly shut down its Google Plus service in early April, closing all accounts and pages on the platform once hailed as the company's answer to Facebook.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Thank goodness!  I did not realize it was Google Plus!

Whew!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  if it did happen though, Opera and Vivaldi are pretty good internet broswers.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I think if Google was shutting down it would be all over the news 

and the stock market might have noticed 

Honored Contributor

Google Plus was just Google's attempt to take on Facebook, but it never gained traction. It was a social media platform, but couldn't compete with Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.

If you wanted to create a new social media platform the ideal solution would be one that mined data and posts from the other sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) and consolidated them all on one site. If you follow Jane Doe, then all of her posts on any and every other site (except for duplicates) would show up on this one site. The other sites would sue you into oblivion, or try to anyway, but if you could pull it off, it would be quite the coup.

Some people post on four, five, or more social media sites with different stuff on each, so unless you follow them everywhere, you're missing out on some stuff. A single site that consolidated all of their posts and let you respond with the response going back to the original site would get very popular very quickly.

As it is now you're apt to miss something you may not want to miss if you're not on the right platform at the right time. A single app/platform that consolidated all of the various social media postings of anyone would be insanely powerful. It would also be fought like mad in the courts and likely illegal, but it would be impressive while it lasted. The other platforms would all be put out of business in the longterm by such a platform. They count on ad revenue and without people going to their platform, they'd lose that revenue while you would gain tons from consoliidating all of the posts on one site. Advertisers would love you and abandon them. It would be a big hit, if it could be done legally. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Glad everyone realizes Google is not shutting down.  The letter clearly states it is Google +.  Google is a very profitable company with millions of regular email accounts, so it doesn't make sense it would shut down completely.  I know I always got notificiations to use Google +, but I never did.  And no, no one has to change their email accounts.    

Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Glad everyone realizes Google is not shutting down.  The letter clearly states it is Google +. 

Yep. The subject line of this thread is fake news that probably will get people riled up.  The rumor will take on a life of its own. Sigh.