Frequent Contributor

Advice On Purchasing Surge Protectors

I need advice on what surge protectors to buy and how much joules {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I need 3; 1) computer, 2 all-in-printers, telephone line, TV, cable box & internet modem 2) HD tv, HD cable box, telephone line & DVD player/recorder 3) TV, HD cable box, telephone line & DVD player/recorder.

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice On Purchasing Surge Protectors

Someone else might answer specifically, but I don't like to give detailed advice for surge protection/power protection. If it's incorrect you might have significant property damage at some point -- I'd hate to be responsible for that. I'd rather err on the side of caution, and strongly suggest you talk with your insurance agent.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

So my insirance agent can tell me which surge protectors to buy? Hmmmm interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

Super Contributor

Sounds like what you really need is a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). To protect your computer, a UPS is what you need. You can google what a UPS does and what a surge protector does. If you ask a veteran computer nerd, they'll tell you not to waste your money on a surge protector. UPS will give you enough time to save the document you are working on and turn off your computer when there is a blackout because it is battery-backup. If you use UPS for your lamps, it will also give you couple of hours of usage when there is no power as in a blackout. Do a google or ask a veteran computer IT/nerd.

Super Contributor

I bought my surge protectors in Radio Shack. I made sure I bought the ones that were rated to protect computers, etc. The cheap ones are not rated for that. The people that work there are very knowledgeable.

Esteemed Contributor

Our router got fried last week ~ either due to the power outage the night before ~ or coincidentally ~ no way to be sure. Anyway, long story short, we had to replace the router and while at it bought a new and upgraded surge protector. We learned that surge protectors have fuses in them and after so many blurps of electricity, they can blow out. Never heard of that, but might be something to ask about. (We have had an unusual amount of power outages in our area this season and I finally called our energy company so that they were aware of the problem.)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2014 rj167 said:

So my insirance agent can tell me which surge protectors to buy? Hmmmm interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

Yes, and you'll also find many insurance companies provide pretty good information on surge protection/power protection on their websites. Something to remember: they're the ones you'll go to if your property is damaged, so they have an interest in providing the best advice they can.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

Thank all of you

I'm going to look into UPS and new sugre protectors with higher joules (mine are several years old) and contact my insurance agent.

Honored Contributor

When we moved into our new home Florida power and light called us with an offer for a whole house surge protector to be installed where the electric comes into the house. We had that done so now we feel we are safe from electrical surges, though we still tend to uplug our electronics during bad thunder storms. It does make one feel confident that the electric co has installed protection against electric surges for us.
Regular Contributor

I too need to buy new protectors for all my lamps etc. The computers is fairly new they have all the plugs so you know what to put where... I hear now they have sp's with individual timers something I'm looking for as most of my lamps are on timers.

Always something...