Honored Contributor

Re: ANAZON FIRE 10" TABLET TSV

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I bought it, it is on it's way to me. I already have a 7" and last year's 8"  I have an iPad Air that I have to say is my favorite. I will be buying an iPad Pro in the new year when the new models come out. I like to rotate my devices, give them all an equal chance! I'm going to give my elderly mother my 7" (she really doesn't get technology)!

The Ipad pro is out now.  I just bought one.  Just came out with a 10.5 inch screen which s good.   Some of the newer ones are too big for me.  Might as well carry a laptop around.  I got a awesome deal Black Friday at Best Buy.  saved 150.00 

@BalletBabe, I have seen the ones that are out now. I believe Apple will be releasing an updated one around June or so (at least that's what I read). Since I don't need it right away, I'm willing to wait. I hope you are enjoying yours!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I bought it, it is on it's way to me. I already have a 7" and last year's 8"  I have an iPad Air that I have to say is my favorite. I will be buying an iPad Pro in the new year when the new models come out. I like to rotate my devices, give them all an equal chance! I'm going to give my elderly mother my 7" (she really doesn't get technology)!

The Ipad pro is out now.  I just bought one.  Just came out with a 10.5 inch screen which s good.   Some of the newer ones are too big for me.  Might as well carry a laptop around.  I got a awesome deal Black Friday at Best Buy.  saved 150.00 

@BalletBabe, I have seen the ones that are out now. I believe Apple will be releasing an updated one around June or so (at least that's what I read). Since I don't need it right away, I'm willing to wait. I hope you are enjoying yours!

@Jordan2  Yes they most likely will but not sure what month.  I can tell you I went from the first ipad air and now updated.   This Ipad is amazing.   So fast , great camera etc.  Best Ipad so far!  I have a old mini that I cannotget updates on anymore. I just use it for music because I am not sure about being safe without updates.   

Trusted Contributor

My problem with the Fire Tablets is the app store they use.

It is nowhere near as large as Android or Apple.  Many developers do not make an app version for Amazon, whereas most make both an iOS and Android version of their app.

Is Amazon app store the only option on the Fire Tablets?

Respected Contributor

Questions please.......

Why do you want to watch a movie on a tiny 10" screen? Wouldn't it hurt your eyes eventually?

Doesn't that calling out to Alexa drive you batty?.... just the on air presentations of calling out to her makes me nuts...I cannot imagine 2-3 people all calling out to her at the same time... I'd have walked over and turned the darn xmas tree lights out much faster+taken a bubble bath. 

Now if it brought me lunch, took out the garbage, etc..well then, ok..........Or made the bed....did wash...balanced my check book I could understand.

I can't imagine reading on that 10" thing either...My eyes would cross.

I just do not get it.........Sorry, it seems they are popular... and I had to ask...........tia

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Trusted Contributor

I read on my tablet (not the Fire but a tablet) and I love reading on it. It does not hurt my eyes, The font can be changed, and the lighting can also be changed so to not strain your eyes.

Some people watch movies on it while on the go. On airplanes, on subways during long commutes. Some people watch a movie while hanging out in bed on a lazy day, although I have not done that yet.

As far as Alexa, I have not jumped on that band wagon yet. There is no appeal to me for that. I did just buy a "dot" though for my grandson (who is 9), just because I think he would have fun asking her all sorts of questions. It is hard to find "toys" for a 9 year old as their world seems to be all technology devices now. Toys to play with just do not interest him any more. I hope Dot entertains him. $20 on a lightening deal on amazon, it is a gift that is not expensive. HA! he will probably teach me how to use it, not the other way around.

Although I would not have an Alexa driven home, there are times when I wish I could just holler out a question and not have to go Google something, but that is just me being lazy Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

Questions please.......

Why do you want to watch a movie on a tiny 10" screen? Wouldn't it hurt your eyes eventually?

Doesn't that calling out to Alexa drive you batty?.... just the on air presentations of calling out to her makes me nuts...I cannot imagine 2-3 people all calling out to her at the same time... I'd have walked over and turned the darn xmas tree lights out much faster+taken a bubble bath. 

Now if it brought me lunch, took out the garbage, etc..well then, ok..........Or made the bed....did wash...balanced my check book I could understand.

I can't imagine reading on that 10" thing either...My eyes would cross.

I just do not get it.........Sorry, it seems they are popular... and I had to ask...........tia

Regarding the "tiny ten inch screen" you have to remember perspective. That "tiny ten inch screen"  held in your lap is probably bigger visually than a 65" screen across the room. A small screen close to you feels bigger than a big screen farther away. The virtual reality glasses that people use these days have tiny little screens in them, but they bring them very, very close to your eyes. The closer something is, the bigger it looks. You don't want to watch a ten inch screen from across the room, but at a distance of ten to say twenty inches from you, it's a big, big screen. If you want to see how big it would feel, cut out or fold a piece of paper that's about 5.25" by 8.5" (roughly the screen dimensions of my 10" diagonally measured Fire.) Look at your current TV and then hold that piece of paper up in front of you at "normal" tablet viewing distance. If the piece of paper totally obscures your current TV at say the distance from your lap in front of you, then movies and what not will look bigger and better to you on the tablet than on the "big" screen. Perspective is important. If you watch TV on a 65" 4K HDR HDTV from three feet away, the tablet will feel small. If you watch that same TV from across the room, chances are the image on the tablet will be bigger when held at normal viewing distance.

As to Alexa, I love her. Having a device holding all of my music and playing whatever song or artist I want within seconds is amazing! My only problem now is Alexa overkill. I've got a DOT, Echo and two Alexa enabled tablets and the wrong Alexa tends to answer if I have more than one currently in use. My 10" tablet really likes to respond first and often I'd prefer my Echo to respond instead. I'll probably have to rename one of them, but I just haven't bothered yet.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I decided to get one. My iPad is so old, it can't get any additional iOS updates and it's slow.  I rarely use it so I didn't want to spend $300+ for a new one.  A club I belong to is interested in live streaming our meetings and this will work well.  If I don't like it, I can always return it no questions asked.  

Occasional Contributor

I have an 8".   I use it when I'm on the treadmill.   I primarily bought it for tv shows that either aren't avaialble on my regular tv (like Bosch) or that I want to keep but don't want to clutter up my DVR with (like My 600-lb life, all seasons).  

DH had fun with Alexa for a few minutes but I doubt it will ever be used again.

Listening to music would be another good use.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mdubbs wrote:

I have an 8".   I use it when I'm on the treadmill.   I primarily bought it for tv shows that either aren't avaialble on my regular tv (like Bosch) or that I want to keep but don't want to clutter up my DVR with (like My 600-lb life, all seasons).  

DH had fun with Alexa for a few minutes but I doubt it will ever be used again.

Listening to music would be another good use.  

Amazon Prime has some very good radio stations. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am considering this as a simple backup to our at-home devices should they malfunction. I hate using my phone for anything but texting, preferring a bigger screen for surfing, emails, etc.  Recently my power cord died and I felt lost until I could get it replaced.

My question:  Can Google be downloaded to a Fire?