Honored Contributor

Why is it everytime I use a credit card already on file that I have to put in the 3 digit security code?? 

Honored Contributor

The reason is to CONFIRM that you are actually holding the card.....(not a hacker).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

Why is it everytime I use a credit card already on file that I have to put in the 3 digit security code?? 

They don't store the security code.  That's why they call it "security."  Like @Desertdi said, to make sure you are the actual card holder.

Honored Contributor

Yes, they do store the security code.

I've been here close to 30 years and the only time I've ever been asked for the security code is when I added a new CC or updated a current one on file when it expired and I needed to add the new expiration date.

I think this is all due to the many obvious IT problems going on with QVC.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

The reason is to CONFIRM that you are actually holding the card.....(not a hacker).

@Desertdi Yes!  Which is why it is called, and is, a "security" code.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Yes, they do store the security code.

I've been here close to 30 years and the only time I've ever been asked for the security code is when I added a new CC or updated a current one on file when it expired and I needed to add the new expiration date.

I think this is all due to the many obvious IT problems going on with QVC.

@KingstonsMom    It's not just QVC, it's all retailers.  You also get asked if you update an expiration date or change credit cards. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Pecky Shocked that someone would even ask about this!!!!!  That is the most basic security measure!  If you don't care about that I can't imagine how at risk you probably are from other security hacking, etc!

Honored Contributor

If you're talking about QVC, I'm never asked for my security code for the card that's on file.  

Esteemed Contributor

Why when something happens that seems strange to some people, they blame QVC? This is something that happens at different shopping sites. They want to verify that it´s really you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Security Codes

[ Edited ]

I know what security code is, however, once the card is on file they don't ask for the code.  The only time I have been asked is when I add another card.  They now ask everytime when my card has been on file for a few years. Why do people have to be so rude when asking a question?