Honored Contributor

Re: Please stop internet stalking

[ Edited ]

@Havarti 

I am very privacy oriented too and for that reason I don't do any social media other than the Q forums and I have nothing Google related on my laptop, including Facebook.

I've had AdBlockerPlus for many years and have never had any invasion of privacy from them.

If you have anything Google related on yours, you don't even want to read their so-called 'privacy policy'.

The reference to "It can read and change all the data on the websites you visit" on AdBlockerPlus refers to changing the website's data, to exclude the ads, not the abilty to change YOUR data.

But do what you're comfortable with, I'm completely comfortable with AdBlockerPlus.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti  

I concur with the detailed explanation IG provided. I don't do social media either because of privacy concerns, and certainly understand your hesitancy, but I really like AdBlockPlus. There are other ad blocking programs you can explore as well.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom @SandySparkles 

Thanks to you both for responding.  I agree, I am not into social media either.  I can't believe what people will tell, share, post in photos.  When I see things in the news about what people have shared I just can't imagine what on earth they are thinking.  Many people these days just do not care and accept no privacy as the way of the future.  I am not there in my thinking so I try to be very careful what I agree to these days.  Thanks again for sharing your thoughts & experiences.  

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CoG 

I agree, but I installed AdBlockerPlus and now I get NO ads on any site I visit, love it!

ETA: AdBlockerPlus has a free version and a version that you pay for, I use the free version. 

Great advice, @KingstonsMom.    I also like Click&Clean, Ghostery, and others -- of course, the extensions/addons offered will vary depending upon our browser.   Each browser offers several good, free extensions/addons.   There are many reliable and interesting guides and discussions online with a quick search.   

We also have the option to browse in "incognito mode" or other private browsing.

In addition, I like to keep up with the latest developments in search engines and I find that those with less tracking like DuckDuckGo, StartPage, Qwant, etc., are good alternatives to Google, Bing, Yahoo, and the like.   

The tried and true, trusty advice to delete cookies/cache/website data frequently is always a good idea, too.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caffeina wrote:

q terms.JPG

https://www.qvc.com/content/information/general-terms-conditions.html 

https://www.qvc.com/content/information/privacy-statement.html 

@Caffeina  26 years of formal education and I still can’t make hides or tails of Q’s policy.  Are they really saying that using their “services” ie spending my good money with them, relegates me to complete and uncensorable submission to any”applicable polices” they choose to implement?

They’ve  shown such poor judgement in the last few months that this implicit agreement frightens me. What to do?  

Honored Contributor

You'll need an ad blocker to stop it.  They all do it and QVC won't stop.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CoG 

I agree, but I installed AdBlockerPlus and now I get NO ads on any site I visit, love it!

ETA: AdBlockerPlus has a free version and a version that you pay for, I use the free version. 

Great advice, @KingstonsMom.    I also like Click&Clean, Ghostery, and others -- of course, the extensions/addons offered will vary depending upon our browser.   Each browser offers several good, free extensions/addons.   There are many reliable and interesting guides and discussions online with a quick search.   

We also have the option to browse in "incognito mode" or other private browsing.

In addition, I like to keep up with the latest developments in search engines and I find that those with less tracking like DuckDuckGo, StartPage, Qwant, etc., are good alternatives to Google, Bing, Yahoo, and the like.   

The tried and true, trusty advice to delete cookies/cache/website data frequently is always a good idea, too.😊

@dooBdoo 

Happy new year, Doobs! I hope it's a great one for ya'!

I agree with all you said, I use StartPage for my search engine.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Im surprised by the number of people that think social media is the root of all evil.   And tracks you.  What do you think you are posting on here????   Social media, thats what.  It is what you allow and make of it.  

Ads are the webs annoying TV commercials.  As long as there is retail there will be ads.  

Do you honestly think the discount cards you get from your local grocery stores are only to give you discounts?  Sorry, but they track you and your buying habits, the paultry savings is so you will sign up.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@dooBdoo 

Happy new year, Doobs! I hope it's a great one for ya'!

I agree with all you said, I use StartPage for my search engine.

Thank you, @KingstonsMom!   Happy new year to you, too, and good wishes for a wonderful year!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova