Honored Contributor

Re: Please stop internet stalking

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Im surprised by the number of people that think social media is the root of all evil.   And tracks you.  What do you think you are posting on here????   Social media, thats what.  It is what you allow and make of it.  

Ads are the webs annoying TV commercials.  As long as there is retail there will be ads.  

Do you honestly think the discount cards you get from your local grocery stores are only to give you discounts?  Sorry, but they track you and your buying habits, the paultry savings is so you will sign up.

In addition to store discount cards and programs, the cash-back companies like Rakuten, Mr. Rebates, TopCashBack, etc., are data-sharing goldmines.    We are not their customers, we are their product.   The amount we receive in rebates is minuscule compared to the profits they make by tracking our activities and sharing the information.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Speaking of Rakuten et al, the one thing you should be cognizant of with these apps or extensions is, on occasion, they may interfere with some websites.  I had to turn off the Ebates one because it would interfere with a genealogy website I was supposed to have access to via my library card.  It, or another app, also interfered with Craigslist when I tried to use that once.  

That's not to say don't use them, just to be aware that if a website isn't working properly, that might be the problem.  I deleted the Rakuten one and just go through their website instead.

Regular Contributor

Ad Block helps.

Respected Contributor

Hi Friends,

Thanks for the info and Happy New Year to All!

Cathy