Trusted Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to respond below a comment?

I am not the least bit technologically savvy, at all.  Would someone be so kind as to instruct me how to respond to someone's comment or question on a forum so that my response appears directly below their comment/question?  Thanks for your patience.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: How to respond below a comment?

Hit the reply box beneath the post and then hit the quote box on the right side above the box you are typing in

@Quinny wrote:

I am not the least bit technologically savvy, at all.  Would someone be so kind as to instruct me how to respond to someone's comment or question on a forum so that my response appears directly below their comment/question?  Thanks for your patience.  Smiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@Quinny - I am guessing you want to have your comment appear like this one, where I quoted you and am responding, correct?

Simply click the "REPLY" button in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote within your reply. When the response page loads, click the word "QUOTE" just above the comment box and you will see the post appear. If you want to direct your reply to the author of the post, click @ and then the first letter of the author's name; a drop-down list should appear to provide options for you to click and insert into your comment. Then you just type what you want to say and click the pink "POST" button at the bottom of the comment box.

Let me know if you have any questions about or trouble with this process...

Contributor

@Quinny Thank you for mentioning that, I have been wondering the same thing.

Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hit the reply box beneath the post and then hit the quote box on the right side above the box you are typing in

@Quinny wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@I am still oxox Thank you .....

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@Quinny - I am guessing you want to have your comment appear like this one, where I quoted you and am responding, correct?

Simply click the "REPLY" button in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote within your reply. When the response page loads, click the word "QUOTE" just above the comment box and you will see the post appear. If you want to direct your reply to the author of the post, click @ and then the first letter of the author's name; a drop-down list should appear to provide options for you to click and insert into your comment. Then you just type what you want to say and click the pink "POST" button at the bottom of the comment box.

@loriqvc  good instructions.  It's confusing to me when someone replies to a post above that post.

Or worse - when they reply to a post in the same text box, makes it look like one post.

Trusted Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@loriqvc I think I did it, did I?  Thank you so much for your fast response, patience and easy instructions!  I wish you lived near me, I'd pay you well to give me some much needed lessons.  The hubs has no patience with me whatsoever; we have 2 adult children, our daughter is a doctor of Philosophy and a professor at the local university, our son is a corporate attorney, both of them grew up using computers.  They are busy with work and families of their own and never seem to have time for a lesson for Mom.  Sorry, I'm sounding pitiful.  Thank you again!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Quinny - Yes, you did it! Congratulations. I'm always happy to answer any question I can around here, so ask away.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@loriqvc  good instructions.  It's confusing to me when someone replies to a post above that post.

Or worse - when they reply to a post in the same text box, makes it look like one post.

I agree with you, @Mj12.   It works best to add our response well below the quoted text -- the natural flow of replies works that way, and if we do have the dreaded "quotes within quotes" (yes, I did it just now!🙃😉) it's so much easier to see the actual chronological sequence of comments.   It's standard protocol on most moderated forums.

Also, I agree that if our reply lands inside the quoted text it can be really confusing to see who said what.

I try to add a couple of blank lines below the quoted text to make it easier to see where my post starts.   None of this is an earth-shattering concern, but does make it easier for us to follow conversations and avoid attributing a comment to the wrong person.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@loriqvc I think I did it, did I?  Thank you so much for your fast response, patience and easy instructions!  I wish you lived near me, I'd pay you well to give me some much needed lessons.  The hubs has no patience with me whatsoever; we have 2 adult children, our daughter is a doctor of Philosophy and a professor at the local university, our son is a corporate attorney, both of them grew up using computers.  They are busy with work and families of their own and never seem to have time for a lesson for Mom.  Sorry, I'm sounding pitiful.  Thank you again!  

@Quinny,   I always enjoy reading what you have to say.   Please, don't ever feel your questions or contributions are "sounding pitiful."   You're great, and I've learned so much from your comments over time!❤️

And I agree, @loriqvc is someone we can count on for patient, clear, thoughtful assistance.    She's a treasure, -- @loriqvc, I appreciate you!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova