Respected Contributor

Any tips for those who can't sign out?

When this mess first began, I couldn't sign in for a few hours. Now I can't sign out. It shows that I have, but when I come back to the site, I'm magically signed in again. Suggestions? 

Super Contributor

Re: Any tips for those who can't sign out?

1.  Try deleting your browser history in the internet browser you are using.

2.  Try using a different internet browser to see if you can sign out.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

I'm having a "logout can't get back on" problem.  I logged out and had to reset my password again...second time today, to get back on.  

Kim Moderator told me there was a system update that caused the login problem and it was fixed.  I don't think so.  

Respected Contributor

the same thing was happening to me. I would sign out of the forum and when I came back to sign in again I was already signed in.  I had changed my email address on this site, thought it covered sign into my account and the forum but that's not so. You have to change your email address in both the account and your forum settings. Once I updated my profile settings in the forum, I don't have the problem anymore

Respected Contributor

@Tallgal @Goodie2shoes  I cleared my history and tried a secondary browser. I was able to sign out. But, when I went back in with the first browser, I was signed in again.

I went through the process again and it seems it was working, but then I logged in to post, so I'll try it again and then wait it out to see if it sticks. Thanks for your help.

Trusted Contributor

@BlueFinch 

This worked for me but who knows!
If you look below the who's on line silloquttes there is a choice to sign out. And also one below the quick Link at the
 bottom left on my iPad anyway.  I clicked on sign out and it let me sign out. But after I signed out  it took several tries to sign back in. Hope this helps and or they get this fixed. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Tallgal @Goodie2shoes  I cleared my history and tried a secondary browser. I was able to sign out. But, when I went back in with the first browser, I was signed in again.

I went through the process again and it seems it was working, but then I logged in to post, so I'll try it again and then wait it out to see if it sticks. Thanks for your help.

@BlueFinch,  Clearing just the history won't do the trick, at least from what I've found in trial-and-error on my Mac, iPad and iPhone, and also by inspecting the info being stored by the site in cookies.   

Try logging out, then immediately

clear ALL browser cookies/cache/website data.  

Hope this helps!  This is such a programming mess...  I hope the IT staff will devote time and attention to fixing it all this week.

Take care, everyone.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo From what I understand, clearing history on my MacBook clears cookies, cache and website data, too. I think it's all in one?

I know it sure wiped out info on some sites I need, like my exact location for the weather channel, with it currently flooding here. Had to reset that, STAT. Argh!

Last night, it showed me signed out on both browsers, but this AM, I'm signed in again. 

Either my MacBook is possessed, or the IT folks have met their match with this event.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

@dooBdoo From what I understand, clearing history on my MacBook clears cookies, cache and website data, too. I think it's all in one?

I know it sure wiped out info on some sites I need, like my exact location for the weather channel, with it currently flooding here. Had to reset that, STAT. Argh!

Last night, it showed me signed out on both browsers, but this AM, I'm signed in again. 

Either my MacBook is possessed, or the IT folks have met their match with this event.

@BlueFinch,  It depends on which browser you're using.   Look at the settings to see what it clears when you choose "clear history."   Also, remember the information stored in cookies/cache/website data is intended to be temporary storage, not permanent or long-term storage -- it should all be cleared out on a regular basis because the old cookies and data can cause all sorts of problems (I do it at least once a day).

eta:  I just realized you're in the midst of bad weather and floods!  I'm so sorry!   Prayers for you and for all who are affected.   Please take good care of yourself.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I do not like this at all.   I 100 percent signed out last night.  

Then when I clicked on the forums for the first time this morning I'm already signed back in.  This should not be happening. 

A billion dollar company with a 50 cent IT department.