Honored Contributor

Re: when you start a thread,

Actually, I find the question to be a bit odd .... {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

When you start a thread, you are starting a CONVERSATION .... why wouldn't you stay involved?

Trusted Contributor

I participate. I look at starting a thread as starting a conversation. It develops as ideas and opinions are expressed and responses are posted and bring more responses. I started the discussion because it's a topic I find interesting, and I want to be a part of the discussion as it develops.

I don't "open my heart" here for deeply personal or painful topics. Those are shared in person and in private with close personal friends, not people on an anonymous public bulletin board -- as nice and enjoyable as many of you people seem to be. As far as I'm concerned, this is a place to share opinions, resources, laughs, general advice. I may share some "slightly personal" events or thoughts, but I will be doing no deep soul-baring here. This isn't the place for that, at least for me.

Respected Contributor

I like to actively participate in a thread I start as long as it warrants it and I have something to contribute.

If it starts to go way off topic or combative I don't go back.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

I virtually never start threads on this board because they are generally ignored. But, when I have and the thread hasn't dropped like a rock to another page, I will acknowledge replies and thank people for their help if it was a question.

It seems like there are a lot of people on this board who don't even bother to read what anybody else has to say, though. It's like only what they have to say matters so even if the question has been answered twenty times, they go ahead and say the same thing.

I also see some threads where you put it out there, wanting to help somebody, and you are just completely ignored by the OP. Some will only respond to their 'friends'.

I try not to open up my heart too much here because some people treat you like you don't matter at all. That could get to a person. It used to get to me, but it doesn't anymore. I just back off for the most part, and keep my feelings to myself. Or, if I think what I have to say might help somebody else, I'll have my say and leave it at that. You never know when something you said helped somebody out there in internetland and that's priceless. Smiley Happy

(((chickenbutt))) - I always read your responses as you are one of my favorite people in here. I'm sorry you haven't had a good experience at getting feedback or being acknowledged. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I agree with most in this thread who equate this to starting a conversation. I think the OP is the facilitator for the discussion and should acknowledge replies (doesn't have to be each individually) and encourage discussion around various points brought up.

Respected Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Actually, I find the question to be a bit odd .... {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

When you start a thread, you are starting a CONVERSATION .... why wouldn't you stay involved?

There are some posters that like to drop their "conversation bombs" and leave.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I am getting better at spotting them than I used to be.

Respected Contributor

Not really a conversation imo. I started a thread that fell apart into jokes, photos and while the posters involved where having fun, it wasn't what I wanted to talk about.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 sylviahomeatlast said:
On 8/28/2014 OCGurl said: I participate.
I know... thanks----most of the time I feel invisible----but I'm happy to ""see"" you all---Croemer almost always ""sees"" me LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

On 8/28/2014 croemer said:
On 8/28/2014 Sister Golden Hair said:

I think when you start a thread that you should always go back and reply. So many times someone will ask a question then never returns.

What if someone calls you on the phone, leaves a message to call them but you never call them back.

I'm sure sometimes people may forget but they can check their activity.

I am with you SGH....at least in the beginning....You do not have to stick around all day...but I think it is good manners to check back for a bit.

That's what I try to do and if I'm going to not be posting on my thread anymore I usually try to say so.

Honored Contributor

I think if you start a thread, you should at least check back in, if you can.

Respected Contributor

On 8/29/2014 traveler said:

Not really a conversation imo. I started a thread that fell apart into jokes, photos and while the posters involved where having fun, it wasn't what I wanted to talk about.

I've had it happen where my thread was turned political and that's not what I wanted to talk about either. Wink