Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

A bismarck is a round fry cake.....usually filled with custard, or raspberry jelly, and topped with icing, powdered sugar, or granulated sugar.

bismarcks.jpg

Right you are.

i call that a donut.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@newname0 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

A bismarck is a round fry cake.....usually filled with custard, or raspberry jelly, and topped with icing, powdered sugar, or granulated sugar.

bismarcks.jpg

Right you are.

All my life I have called this a jelly donut and I love them.  Could it be a regional thing?  I grew up in NJ.  all other definations I am used to.  

@mspatmac In Oklahoma and Arkansas, it's a jelly donut too!  And that's a long way from Jersey!  LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Don't forget the cruller!  You don't hear that much anymore. 

I agree that everything is not a donut.

The original doughnut was fried.  Later on they started baking them as yeast cakes adding frosting and calling that a donut.

Original doughnut:

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Don't forget the cruller!  You don't hear that much anymore. 

I agree that everything is not a donut.

doughnut1.jpg

Respected Contributor

I'll take one of each, please.  Call them whatever you like, but I want them all immediately, if not sooner.

You ladies made me hungry LOL!

Honored Contributor

well i am now craving a maple bacon log and a glass of milk......it is taking every ounce of self control to not jump into the car right now and go and get one! LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

and then....THERE ARE CREAM PUFFS....YUM!

Honored Contributor

bear claws, palmiers, elephant ears, nut rolls.....the list is endless. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@newname0 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

bismarcks.jpg

Right you are.

All my life I have called this a jelly donut and I love them.  Could it be a regional thing?  I grew up in NJ.  all other definations I am used to.  

I grew up in NY and this is definitely a jelly donut.  They were my favorite at one time.

Then came the Cheese Danish that a local deli made that my father brought home on Saturdays.  They were the BEST cheese danish I've ever eaten.  I can still taste them all these years later.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

and then....THERE ARE CREAM PUFFS....YUM!

And eclairs.

*swoon*

Honored Contributor

No, that doesn't happen where I live.  A donut is donut.  Coffee rolls and cinnamin buns and sweet rolls and pecan rolls and danishes and bismarks are all called what they are.