Trusted Contributor

Re: what do you call it?

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 @Diva on The Q 

Yes, a bismark is also called a long john in my area.  I have never heard the term "logs"  or "pacski" for them in this area.  There must be regional names for so many things depending upon our heritage/ancestors who set up living in different areas of the country.  I am sure many of these are terms they brought with them from their orginal countries & culture and have been passed down for generations.  Whatever these things may be called, they are all delicious treats & I am glad they have lasted for generations.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

if a bismark looks like this (from what you have described), we call them logs or long johns...... they can be topped, filled, or topped and filled.

maple bacon log.jpeg

That's a long john.  A maple long john is my favorite!!!!!

There are donuts (yeast dough, round with a hole in the middle and fried), and there are cake donuts (cake batter based and fried, round with a whole inthe middle).

There are apple fritters, globby things fried, which I cannot stand!  LOL!!!  I don't like any of those large, fried things that get really brown when being cooked.  To me they are greasy and awful!  

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

A bismarck is a round fry cake.....usually filled with custard, or raspberry jelly, and topped with icing, powdered sugar, or granulated sugar.

bismarcks.jpg

Right you are.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

A bismarck is a round fry cake.....usually filled with custard, or raspberry jelly, and topped with icing, powdered sugar, or granulated sugar.

That's called a filled donut around here.  Cream filled donut, jelly donut, etc.

Respected Contributor

Don't forget the cruller!  You don't hear that much anymore. 

I agree that everything is not a donut.

Trusted Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

If it's a donut, eclair, cinnamon bun, glazed croissants, danish, or bismark is what I order.  Everything is not a donut. 

doughnut.jpg

Honored Contributor

I don't care what anything is called.  It's the taste that matters.

Esteemed Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

bismarcks.jpg

Right you are.

All my life I have called this a jelly donut and I love them.  Could it be a regional thing?  I grew up in NJ.  all other definations I am used to.  

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@newname0 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

bismarcks.jpg

Right you are.

All my life I have called this a jelly donut and I love them.  Could it be a regional thing?  I grew up in NJ.  all other definations I am used to.  

Yup; this is a jelly donut.  I agree that everything is not a donut, but this one is (where I'm from anyway.)  I've never heard of a Bismark.

Honored Contributor

Re: what do you call it?

[ Edited ]

Our grocery store calls what @sunshine45 posted a photo of a bismark and other places label them as long johns.  Both are types of doughnuts.

These are definitely not the same as a coffee roll or sweet roll.  And coffee rolls and sweet rolls are not the same as a donut.