Respected Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

no one wanted it.  they all considered it trash.to be tossed.

Who is "they" in this scenario? Were the library trustees involved in this decision?  Unless the "manager" used her own money to pay for the clock, it belongs to the taxpayers.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

it was condisered surplus and not needed.  the manager can discard all items that are not needed here.

but

@shortbreadlover  Aren't "surplus" items kept together and later auctioned off? All funds returned to the City?

You should check how your community handles surplus items before you take that clock home! In essence, you are stealing from your place of employment (the City). What if other employees would like the option of buying that clock?

You may be opening up a can of worms taking City property home. I'd return it immediately. Check out antique markets if you really want a similar clock. You'll find another and know you received it legally.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

all thisfuss over a clock that was tobe tossed into the trash.  i am sorry i even shared it .

Trusted Contributor

You did get a find!  I have a Howard Miller regulator wall clock and a grandfather clock.  They are both about 45 years old and still going strong.  I love them and would never part with them.    

Trusted Contributor

Start the car!! 

Respected Contributor

I workrd for state government and no way could this have happened. All property whether it was a file cabinet, chair or old desk would have been sent to surplus and at a later date auctioned off.You did nothing wrong but the library director did not handle this in the correct way. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover   Before this blows over, the FBI will have been notified and searching for you!

You may have to take it on the lam! 

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

the new manager of the library decided that she did not like the wall clock and ordedred another to replace it.  she was going to trash the clock.  i asked ifi could have it and she said just take it.

well, it turns out the old clock is  a howard miller regulator that runs on an   "A" battery.  it is the 67th anniv model.  i am takiong it home today.  what a find.  howard miller clocks are very costly and since the company was founded in 1926. that makes this clock 36 years old.  

i have another one at home that was over $100.00 when my father purchased it in the mid 1980's

plus this isa really nice keepsake from the library

i don't think she knew what she wasdoingand i am not goling to say anything

@shortbreadloverThis last sentence shows that you knew something was wrong with what she did and since you are not going to say anything you also know taking this clock was not cool.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark  I enjoy your sense humor.

We don't know who or what funded the library. If the clock was given by a family they may not be pleased it's being replaced. This new person doesn't seem prudent to me.

Whatever happens, I'm pleased the OP saved it from land fill.

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

it was condisered surplus and not needed.  the manager can discard all items that are not needed here.

but

Clearly it was needed because it was replaced with another one.

It doesn't sound as though she replaced an existing clock because it was broken.  You said she didn't like it.  That doesn't sound like a reason to buy a new clock.  And it's not her money to spend.