Trusted Contributor

the new manager of the library decided that she did not like the wall clock and ordedred another to replace it.  she was going to trash the clock.  i asked ifi could have it and she said just take it.

well, it turns out the old clock is  a howard miller regulator that runs on an   "A" battery.  it is the 67th anniv model.  i am takiong it home today.  what a find.  howard miller clocks are very costly and since the company was founded in 1926. that makes this clock 36 years old.  

i have another one at home that was over $100.00 when my father purchased it in the mid 1980's

plus this isa really nice keepsake from the library

i don't think she knew what she wasdoingand i am not goling to say anything

Honored Contributor

Don't you wonder what unappealing thing she will replace it with? Glad you rescued it.

Trusted Contributor

i am lookingat it right now and i don't know what she was thinking.  it is ugly and doesn't reallyfit in with this old building.  but who cares, i got a nice clock

Respected Contributor

It wasn't hers to give since it was public property.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Respected Contributor

@Mama Mia wrote:

It wasn't hers to give since it was public property.

mm

Exactly!  Public entities are run under strict budgets; and all expenditures must be justified and accounted for.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

it was condisered surplus and not needed.  the manager can discard all items that are not needed here.

but

Honored Contributor

Wonder who paid for the new one.

If it were the new manager oes she take it with her when she leaves?

If it were the township or county or city, will they want the old one back?

It really wasn't hers to give away or throw away.

Trusted Contributor

no one wanted it.  they all considered it trash.to be tossed.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i am lookingat it right now and i don't know what she was thinking.  it is ugly and doesn't reallyfit in with this old building.  but who cares, i got a nice clock

@shortbreadlover 

And that's all that matters, right?

Would a little donation to the library who gifted you with this valuable find, not been appropriate?

Gloating is never attractive, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: what a find

[ Edited ]

How lucky you are ! I love old clocks....I was given the old one from a school library when I was teaching there thirty years ago. It is a schoolhouse-style clock with a pendulum and chimes at the hour. It has been hanging in my den since I brought it home. I hope you enjoy having the clock in your home.