Respected Contributor

Re: wedding accommodation question

While I don't necessarily think the bride should pay for the guests' rooms, it does seem that having a destination wedding at the height of tourist season in a place where people will probably have to stay an hour away is rather inconsiderate to said guests.  I think if I got an invitation to a wedding telling me I couldn't stay where it was being held, but should plan on driving an hour, I'd wonder if I was really just being asked to stay home and send a gift.

It's one thing to have to travel to where the bride lives, but quite another to a vacation spot where rooms are scarce.

Respected Contributor

@HarDee  I think you should just send out the Save the Date cards and include a note about the hotel options in the mountain town and explain that they need to book a room early due to high tourist season. Also let them know about the accommodations available in the town an hour away in case they can't get a room in the nearby mountain town (or procrastinate making reservations).  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am going to be honest, the hour drive from the hotel to the venue will be a problem for some. After partying they don't want to drive an hour. OP did you know about the hotel situation before planning the wedding?

Regular Contributor

Missy1, we did know this and tried to talk the couple out of the venue, but they had their heart set on this spot. We did advise them their turnout may very well be lower than if held in a different spot.  

All I am asking is....if we send out a Save the Date with the information to book rooms early if planning to attend and a list of hotels in that area and if holding rooms in a town farther away would be advisable.

I do appreciate everyone's answers and help and suggestions. Thanks very much!

Respected Contributor

OK - got it.  You are NOT asking for opinions on doing this - it's a done deal.  You want to know if you should tell invitees what the situation is.

YES, clearly you should.

Regular Contributor

Thanks itsmagic!

Honored Contributor

@fallsnow56 wrote:

Missy1, we did know this and tried to talk the couple out of the venue, but they had their heart set on this spot. We did advise them their turnout may very well be lower than if held in a different spot.  

All I am asking is....if we send out a Save the Date with the information to book rooms early if planning to attend and a list of hotels in that area and if holding rooms in a town farther away would be advisable.

I do appreciate everyone's answers and help and suggestions. Thanks very much!

I would do this. Save the date, etc.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, Isobel Archer, yes that's it.  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

While I don't necessarily think the bride should pay for the guests' rooms, it does seem that having a destination wedding at the height of tourist season in a place where people will probably have to stay an hour away is rather inconsiderate to said guests.  I think if I got an invitation to a wedding telling me I couldn't stay where it was being held, but should plan on driving an hour, I'd wonder if I was really just being asked to stay home and send a gift.

It's one thing to have to travel to where the bride lives, but quite another to a vacation spot where rooms are scarce.

Whether any of us agree with them or not, destination weddings exist. An invited guest can, of course, respond as he or she pleases.

Honored Contributor

I agree, Save the Date.  We got one a few weeks ago for an upcoming wedding May 21, 2016. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee