Regular Contributor

wedding accommodation question

We are planning a wedding for our daughter that will take place in a mountain town during tourist season.  We have called hotels and have been told that since this is high tourist season they will not do room blocks or hold rooms like they would closer to town. If we send out Save the Dates early with a site where rooms can be booked in the mountain town and advise to book early are we good?  The closest town to the venue is an hour away.  Do we attempt to hold rooms there and provide a map to the venue? Thanks in advance.  Have never done this before! 

Honored Contributor

Re: wedding accommodation question

I would find another venue if it were me.  Chances are the guests will have to put down a non-refundable desposit in that case.  I think it is a lot to ask of a guest unless they are VERY close to the couple.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I would find another venue if it were me.  Chances are the guests will have to put down a non-refundable desposit in that case.  I think it is a lot to ask of a guest unless they are VERY close to the couple.  

I would have to agree, because I don't know many people who would drive an hour from their hotel to attend a wedding.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Sooner. Unfortunately that's no longer an option as a deposit has been made.  The couple is only inviting those that are nearest and dearest to them.

Respected Contributor

@fallsnow56 wrote:

We are planning a wedding for our daughter that will take place in a mountain town during tourist season.  We have called hotels and have been told that since this is high tourist season they will not do room blocks or hold rooms like they would closer to town. If we send out Save the Dates early with a site where rooms can be booked in the mountain town and advise to book early are we good?  The closest town to the venue is an hour away.  Do we attempt to hold rooms there and provide a map to the venue? Thanks in advance.  Have never done this before! 

I think you should send the cards along with the info on the block of rooms in the larger town and info that it is difficult further in. I think people will understand this but the worst thing that you need to avoid is not providing something like activity and food whenever people will be at the wedding site or attendant activities and there is a gap. They cannot make it back to their rooms to change or for food. Maybe you could book two rooms closer in that are Ladies Rooms. Just a place Ladies can go to change, use a bathroom, take care of babies etc. The uests will appreciate it and think it is a touch of class and thoughtfulness. Guys need a place too, but they are more adaptable. Plus if the wife is okay the husband will be more calm also. 

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Esteemed Contributor

@Kjelle wrote:

@fallsnow56 wrote:

I think you should send the cards along with the info on the block of rooms in the larger town and info that it is difficult further in. I think people will understand this but the worst thing that you need to avoid is not providing something like activity and food whenever people will be at the wedding site or attendant activities and there is a gap. They cannot make it back to their rooms to change or for food. Maybe you could book two rooms closer in that are Ladies Rooms. Just a place Ladies can go to change, use a bathroom, take care of babies etc. The uests will appreciate it and think it is a touch of class and thoughtfulness. Guys need a place too, but they are more adaptable. Plus if the wife is okay the husband will be more calm also. 

That's a thought, but how many couples would be willing to stay in seperate hotels?

I'm just asking.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, very good suggestion.

Honored Contributor

@HarDee I'm sure that the close friends that are invited will understand that options are really limited in that area, and the drive to the hotel won't be a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Congratulations!

Honored Contributor

I have only ever been to one destination wedding - it was in the Bahamas - the groom chartered a plane and booked & paid for all the guests rooms for a 3 night stay. All we had to pay for was our entertainment and our meals. If I recall correctly there were 26 guests. IMO - if you expect people to attend your destination wedding the cost of that should be on you not them.The bride & groom I mentioned also asked for donations to St Judes Hospital in lieu of wedding gifts.

Regular Contributor

Goodness, we have traveled distances to attend weddings and always paid for our own rooms. We don't expect anyone to attend but certainly hope that they can.