Regular Contributor

Re: wedding accommodation question

Thanks so much MJ12!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Would you be paying for the block of rooms, or would be just holding them? (I know you can't)

I like to book my own hotel room. We all don't care for the same accommodations.

I only go to out of town weddings that I can drive too. (across state lines-not far) That's expensive enough, plus the gift. Expensive destination type weddings expenses should be covered by the couple IMO 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When we've traveled long distances to a wedding, we've always, as well, gotten our own room.  I'd never think the family of either the bride or groom would pay for that... that is an awfully expensive extra expense. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Many couples are from different areas of the country so for some relatives and friends  attending a wedding involves staying in a hotel.  We have been to countless out of town weddings and a few destination weddings.  Generally area hotel suggestions were given.(sometimes there were special room rates, but not always) Not all hotels were in the same town. We have driven close to a hour to get to the wedding venue.  For us it was no big deal.  No one twists your arm to attend.  If you feel it is a hassle, too costly, inconvenient, etc, send your regrets.

No one has ever paid for our hotel room or transportation when attending an out of town wedding.

Congratulations, OP.  Talk to your friends and relatives about the accommodation options. Let them decide where they'd like to stay.

Honored Contributor

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

When we've traveled long distances to a wedding, we've always, as well, gotten our own room.  I'd never think the family of either the bride or groom would pay for that... that is an awfully expensive extra expense. 

We've also been to several weddings during the last few years at which we needed to sleep over, and our expenses have never been paid for.

Honored Contributor

When our friends were married in Myrtle Beach, we found out the venue and got a room closest to it, doing our own thing gave us the freedom to stay a few extra days & didn't cost the happy couple a penny. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Regular Contributor

Missy1, the town an hour away will hold rooms up to 30days before the wedding, so we will more than likely do that.  

Honored Contributor

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

There is a difference between travelling to someones home town to a wedding and having a wedding at some destination resort where every single person attending would have a huge expense to go there. When you move your wedding far away from where all your potential guests live you may find that many can't or just don't want to pay to go.It's a lot to ask of people.

Honored Contributor

@fallsnow56 wrote:

Missy1, the town an hour away will hold rooms up to 30days before the wedding, so we will more than likely do that.  

So you are just holding the rooms, and the guests will pay for the rooms. Most guests like their own rooms and rates. I would just give suggestions on where to stay.

Regular Contributor

That's how I feel...if I am invited to a wedding that is out of town, I would expect to pay my own way to get there and any expenses...If it's too much, I decline the invite..I think it's awesome if a couple/parents have money and want to pay for everyone, but it's not usual to me! My son is getting married in NJ..I have out-of-town guests invited, but there's no way I can pay their expenses, my son can't and neither can her parents. I wish it were closer to my NY home, but she is from NJ so , I suspect, the good majority of guests will be from her side of the family!