Respected Contributor

Does anyone know if the "Dollar" stores, by all the various names are franchises?  

We have a Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Dollar General, and one other in our relatively small town.  They are all well maintained and look neat and clean.  A couple years ago we visited family in PA and went into one of the Dollar type stores there; it was a mess.  It looked dirty and smelled awful.  I don't think anything was done to the building since it first opened.  That made me question if they were franchises.  If so, no one from corporate management has paid this store a visit! 

Respected Contributor

Re: the dollar store??

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife

Thanks for the info!  Since reading your post, I recall hearing/reading the same kind of thing about the "Dollar" stores.  Also, the container may look the same as in other drug or grocery stores, but often contain less of the product.  The package states how much is contained, but who reads or remembers what was in the same item from another store? 

Honored Contributor

These stores can be a blessing for those on a fixed income or on welfare.  The dollar tree stores care a lot of good staples to feed hungry families... milk, frozen goods   can goods , dry goods. and for a dollar an item it can make all the difference for a low income family. They do have there place.  Yes be a good consumer and read labels... check expiration dates... you can get good deals.

Honored Contributor

I love the dollar tree!  You can spend a fortune in there...Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm not convinced they are cheaper even on groceries in the long run.  The problem is, they aren't that much cheaper than sale items and usa made house brands in grocery stores and how often do you buy stuff you really don't need?  In the end it probably all is about equal in what you spend on what you get. 

It's all part of the cycle of us buying imported stuff cheaper and then donating for people here who are out of jobs. And then we wind up with a house full of stuff we are trying to get rid of!  I'm part of the problem and I admit that, but lately I've been doing a lot of hard thinking about that. 

I'm so willing to donate, but am I willing to spend a little more to give someone here a job?  Just something that has been rattling in my brain. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner, I agree about the prices.

I buy the disposable aluminum pans, you get 2.

Every once in a while the supermarket will have a 12 pack on sale $3 so if I can wait I will and then stock up.

Esteemed Contributor

Dollar Tree is my favorite. Only thing when it first opened it was clean and nice. Now

always so messy but I don't shop there too much anymore.

Cards a good deal. I get birthday balloons there.

I like the holiday stuff probably the most. Great deals after Christmas too!

In the past I have bought several movies on c.d. there. Yep, only a buck. I

watch them and pass them on.

Trusted Contributor

i shop dollar tree all the time.  i find the the works product that they carry is the best thing in the world to clean the toliet.

also buy foil and such there.  you do have to be careful and watch the itmes that you buy for size and weight ect.

their makeup is a great buy and just as good as the name brand.  but again, you have to watch bt then you have to do that everywhere

Trusted Contributor

Milk & bread in between grocery shopping trips...very convenient.

Honored Contributor

Love Dollar Tree!

I buy:

Sparkle paper towels

Puff's tissues

Sponges

Foil pans

Gift bags, tape, bows, ribbon and greeting cards

Manilla envelopes and packing tape

Christmas wrapping paper

Fabuloso

Enteric coated aspirin