Honored Contributor

Re: the dollar store??

[ Edited ]

Dollar Tree is the only "dollar store" that I will buy things in. Others are overpriced for what they sell and I find most of them just carry inferior and poorly made merchandise.  Dollar Tree is the only place I find certain things like party balloons, gift bags, tissue paper, birthday cards, sleep masks, medicine organizer boxes, aluminum foil sheets, etc. Their merchandise is current and the stores are well-stocked and clean. I'm a fan! I buy the small bottles of Dawn and Tide there...refill them with the big containers of it I get at Costco....

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I don't want to cause a debate or heated discussion...but just wanted to throw this out there.

My sister is the FDA Compliance Officer for a national Custom Brokerage Firm.

They handle importing and exporting of goods from around the world.

As FDA Officer, she works on a daily basis with FDA laws and regulations and the shipments of goods attempting to cross any border into the US (land, sea or air). 

She says 98% of the items HELD/IMPOUNDED are destined for Dollar Store Chains.  The FDA will seize and test random loads of goods/foods.  The highest % of those refused are for Dollar Stores.  Once tested, they are found to contain unacceptable levels of toxins, organisms etc.  Sent right back where they came from.

Testing at the borders is randomly done and clearly can't catch all offenses.

She has told me repeatedly to be VERY careful what I buy at Discount Chains.  Especially never, ever purchase Spices.  They are continually found to contain non-food items such as feces, hairs etc.  Believe it or not, there is an ACCEPTABLE level that can be contained, but if it tests over...it is rejected.

Her rule of thumb is :

Never purchase anything you consume or put on your face. Be very careful about everything else.

Cosmetics may have a 'Name' label, but are most often produced in lesser factories than the norm (in foreign countries), where the standards of sanitation are MUCH lower.  Kitchen utensils which go into your food are a No for her as well.

I know so many people who love Dollar Stores, but I just wanted to point out some information that I know first hand since my sister deals with it everyday.

Thank you for posting this.  I am sure many items slip through and of course we don't know what they are.  It is very scary.  Forewarned is Forearmed.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I go to the dollar store almost once a month. Ours is in a nearby college town and its very nice (and clean). I buy batteires, decorations for all holidays, dry flowers and vases that go in the ground for the graves, frames, cards, toothepaste, band aids, cleaning stuff, you name it. I dont buy any food there but my husband sometimes picks up some snacks there. I love the dollar store! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I quickly read Respectlife's post on my way out the door.  Wow, just wow.  I knew to be on the lookout for fake and poor quality cosmetics, but food items?  What about my beloved Cheetos, in other words, US name brand items.  I will read the rest of this thread when I get home.  Very disconcerting.  And I just thought of another thing, OTC non-brand name drugs. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Hershey chocolates, cookies, toothpaste, etc I buy from Dollar Tree are all made in the USA.

I've long been aware of the FDA allowances of non-food matter in edibles.

That FDA allowance also applies to foodstuffs produced right here in the USA.

I read product labels, no matter what store I'm buying from, and like everyone else here, I'm a discerning person.

I think @depglass can rest assured her Dollar Store Cheetos are genuine Chester Cheetah. 🐆

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

I love my Dollar Store! Cards, Kleenex, tin foil, containers, bleach, some kitchen gadgets, canning jars, etc. I go 2 to 3 times a month, You just cant beat their prices.

I keep a list of things that I am running out of.

My husband will be nosy and check out what's on it before he goes out and will go willy-nilly picking things up for me, no rhyme or reason.

He was going to Dollar Tree to pick up the Sunday paper, saw I had bleach on the list and bought it there.

It's not concentrated so I needed more and in my opinion it didn't do a very good job.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter

Chlorine Bleach, like vinegar, is bottled at different strengths.

Look for the percentage of sodium hyperchlorite you want in your bleach, then find that concentration in the cheapest per oz.

Honored Contributor

Coupla things: It is aluminum foil not tin. This is to Celtic Crafter.

If these products,etc do not pass FDA compliance how do they get on various store shelves?

At one time I did FDA testing on certain products and FDA was really "fussy" and if did not pass would not be sold ANYWHERE.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie

Goodlettsville, TN, is the corporate headquarters of Dollar General, not where its merchandise is produced.

I would like some input from people who are familiar with Five Below stores..........one just opened here, and I gather it is another type of "dollar store" but not sure.

I've seen them elsewhere but never been in one.  Also, I'm not a fan of the two Big Lots stores that I have been in over the years.......has anyone else had better experience there?

Honored Contributor

At one time we shopped at Big Lots ,but have found that their prices are not competitive.