Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Must have been a private school. In all my years no public schools get swimming lessons.

I went to high school in the 70's, a public school.  It had a pool, and swimming was part of our gym/physical education requirement.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

Must have been a private school. In all my years no public schools get swimming lessons.

I went to high school in the 70's, a public school.  It had a pool, and swimming was part of our gym/physical education requirement.

I went to a Catholic HS and we had an indoor swimming pool.  When I was in elementary school, someone there gave swimming lessons on Saturdays for a small fee and some of my friends went.

They closed the pool after my freshman year because it needed repairs and they were too expensive. I never swam in that pool.

Honored Contributor

While I wasn't there to see it, I am thinking OP doesn't really know what a thong bikini is.

Honored Contributor

WE have a local college ,that does require you to be able to swim , as part of their curriculum. I don't know if it has ever been challenged. Some lady left the school a ton of money ,and she wanted this to be a stipulation

Honored Contributor

I believe you can wear what you want in your personal life and personal time whether anyone else likes it or approves of it or not.  But I do feel a person should consider circumstances when deciding to wear something like the skimpy swim attire as described.  Some people don't seem to have or use good judgment.  Also, whether a person has a great body or not, shouldn't be a factor.  I mean, say I have the perfect figure (I don't -- I'm just using this as an example), if I want to go to the beach with my husband and wear a thong, then whatever.  But to wear this when I am at a venue with my school pupils ---- no, I do not think it is the appropriate thing to do.  I feel teachers should be good examples and that this is part of their job.  They are an important part of children's lives and a strong influence on them in their formative years.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

.......trying to remember the correct spelling for birquas......

Valued Contributor

I do not believe this story at all.

I highly doubt there are "swim instructors" teaching kids to swim in an actual thong.  

I don't believe it would be mandatory to learn how to swim to pass 2nd grade either.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

Same here.  But it was high school.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

You all can believe what you want, but I know my SIL (in her 60's) teaches high school in CA in extremely low cut tops and very tight pants.  So I can only imagine what the younger teachers wear.  But hey I'm sure it's all good.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

Same here, but it was the late 60's and a brand new school.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan