Contributor

Re: stores ...soon goodbye to many I think

I have a similar mindset.  Using what I have, being careful with my money and dreaming of when I can travel without fear.  

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 Do you have the advantage of buying from a store like Sams or Costco since you have a freezer?  I find superior products there.  I don't buy the giant containers of mustard and mayo.  Other things are ok like 4 cans of salmon for salmon patties.

In regard to what you were saying about stores, in most cases it seems the ones with weak sales anyway are the ones have problems.  Too many opened up and didn't have the items to build a strong retail relationships.  I've been in some and wondered how they even payed salaries and electricity.

Honored Contributor

We're still in the red stage here, so not much is open. I'd been avoiding our mall anyway for quite a while. Of our 4 flagship department stores, only Macy's and Penney's are left, and who knows for how much longer. A few years ago the mall was filled with stores that catered to teenagers, but then a few upscale stores went in - Coach, Brighton, etc. 

I go there only for Bath and Body Works, and that will probably close. 

Our Kohl's will reopen in the yellow stage I think, but only for curbside pickup. 

IDK what retail will look like when this is "better." My friend owns a small shop in a popular shopping area. She was doing curbside pickup and local delivery at first, but then had to shut down. She is doing OK with online orders. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't been out yet at all.  Nothing here except grocery stores and retaurants for take-out are open here that I know of.  That is OK with me.  

Honored Contributor

I think that pretty much any store or restaurant that is a chain and was a hot deal in the 1990's you can kiss goodby! 

The world has changed.  Who knows what will replace it or if any corporate store will.  Seems like we are going back to the 1940's model of small, local and LITTLE.  Little to buy, little to have.  Except for electronics.

I don't think a lot of sports will survive, and I think the wold will be colder and more distant--like the internet. 

Respected Contributor

I think we are in for more changes than we can imagine because we are in a world wide situation that will reverberate from all directions.  There will always be stores and employees.  Maybe more automation.

We may be entirely focused on getting by with less for a few years..I've thought for a long time that we are sold a certain set of values at any given time and people buy into them because they are popular.  I hope we can see through that find value through our own discoveries that are personal and meaningful.  

Esteemed Contributor

Penny's seems to go bankrupt every couple of years lately.  Kohl's stock has been awful  the last couple of years always very low in certain sections.

Honored Contributor

The only stores allowed to be open in our area are big box stores.

A store like Kohl's, T.J. Maxx, Home Goods, Pier 1, Hobby Lobby and Old Navy are not allowed to be open.

I heard an interesting comment that with shutting down so many stores that they are guaranteeing that only big box stores will survive. We have no idea when things will start to open up. 

Honored Contributor

Is anyone surprised at this?  If so why?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems most things in Arizona are opened. I was in Macy's and Dillard's over the weekend and Macy's was having a big shoe sale and Dillard's had the same old stuff they had before the shutdown. Didn't buy anything. It wasn't to crowded just steady. Restaurants here are doing a pretty good business. In fact, I read more diners are returning to Arizona restaurants than any other state besides South Carolina and Alabama.