Respected Contributor

For as long as I have had computers I have had maybe two or three spam emails a day.

All of a sudden I have twenty or thirty. My son asked if I had been to any new sites or done anything different.

The only thing I came up with was the QVC contest. 

I was wondering if there is any correlation. 

Has anyone else had this issue? Lots of mail coming from strange combinations of letters and 0's. and a place called posada or ventas? It is a bit unnerving. Is this sweepstakes a third party?

Beth or other mod, would you have any idea?

Esteemed Contributor

I’m going to guess it was the contest.  In most contests the email addresses are shared with anyone involved, other vendors/contractors, etc.   I use a separate email to enter contests.  I entered one that Good Housekeeping sponsored and I knew my info would be shared with lots of sponsors, and it was.  However, it didn’t affect me because I don’t use that email address.  I never have to see it.  I clean it out about twice a year. 

Honored Contributor

I noticed the same thing. Do you think Q is selling the information?

Honored Contributor

I'm fairly certain it's not the contest.  It could be some site that you clicked on and off quickly and don't remember but more than likely it's just that the spammers are getting more sophisticated in their phishing.  Consider yourself that you only get 30 a day.  I get more than that.  I have a separate email that I use for contests and online catalogs and just junk stuff.  That's all I use it for so it's easy for me to go in and just delete stuff.  That limits what I get on my real email accounts but I get junk mail there too.  

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny

Yes I get literally TONS of it!

I do have a separate email account for it, but my usual account is overrun with it to.

i visit lots of sites and have to enter my email all over the place!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny,  

When I went to sign up for the London sweepstakes, there was a tiny little message on screen saying I was now leaving the QVC website.

I changed my mind, clicked back and didn't enter because of that. 

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge--oh my, I never noticed that. I think that is crummy to not let customers know that a second party is involved.

I would sincerely hope these places that are sending me spam are not sponsers or customers of the Q.

I am really not interested in the vile things they have to offer.

@ moderator. could you provide any information about this matter?

Honored Contributor

I have a security software that blocks ads and spamming on my laptop, and another APP on my cell phone........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

@hennypenny

Just thought that I would take a look to double check and this is what is says under the Official Rules for the London Contest:

PRIVACY: Except as noted in these Official Rules, information collected for this Promotion is used only for the purpose of Promotion administration and winner notification and will not be re-used, sold or shared in any manner by the Promotion Parties or any third parties unless you have elected to receive additional information or promotional material from the Sponsor, or a third party. By participating in the Promotion, participant agrees to all of the terms and conditions of the Sponsor’s Privacy Policy, which is available at https://www.qvc.com/content/information/privacy-statement.html. In the event of any discrepancy between the Sponsor’s Privacy Policy and these Official Rules, these Official Rules shall control and govern.

Maybe this is helpful..

Honored Contributor

I didn't enter the London contest, but I have been hit with the same scary junk you have.  And it's the worst it's ever been!

Like you, I would get maybe one spam a week.

Now I have to clear out a dozen and today some of these strange cryptic symboled emails are getting in my regular box.

I only have the one email address, so I have to clear it out constantly.  I think I've reported some, if I did it correctly.

Not only spam, but boy am I getting hammered with soliciters on my home phones and my cell phone.  And they are relentless.

I mentioned it to my son and said that I guess I need to re-up my *do not call* list again, but he said that is more or less worthless.

It's getting pretty bad.