Contributor

Re: something i noticed that is rather strange

My son is a pre-med student taking a Virology class this semester and his professor has a theory the reason why this Virus has not been active in the warmer climates is due to the temperature, India for example has not seen any cases yet. Maybe things will slow down as we progress to Spring. Also, in the scientific community there is talk of a bioterrorism aspect to this outbreak since the DNA structure is very unique. But yes, this is just speculation. 

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I am just guessing that the cases reported so far have been in areas where more travel takes place....could be that people from China just don’t travel to South America in large numbers very often, of perhaps it isn’t being counted and reported . I don’t believe most of the numbers coming out of China are legit.

@lovesrecess I agree.  Now that it's showing up in the Middle East and Europe I'm sure there will be more cases in areas with previously low numbers.  They just announced the first case of unknown origin here in Northern CA, but haven't told us which county yet.  There was also a flight attendant from South Korea who flew into LAX twice in the past week and was then diagnosed.  I think the CDC is correct in that cases here in the US will start to increase.  

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

my daughter works in a  health care facility. they are completely out of masks and gowns. the company is a large health care company. they are not even sure when more will be coming because they are all from china.

right now they are having no visitors because residents and a lot of the staff are out with an intestinal virus has been going around the past two weeks.

This is what concerns me.  People are buying regular masks erroneously thinking they will be protected specifically from the Coronavirus.  And the ones buying the N95 masks aren't really trained in how to determine proper fit, when to change them, or how to safely remove them after they have been worn.

Then the people in healthcare that really need them can't obtain them.  We also have other areas of work that use masks to filter exposure to insulation, dust particles, etc. like construction or remodeling people that need them for work. 

I saw a picture in one of the news releases of someone wearing an N95 mask that clearly didn't know how to ensure a proper fit. 

Hopefully though the healthcare agencies will be able to get supplies in.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum 

@Bhvbum wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am more concerned with the stock market  tanking than  anything else

Why would this a problem unless you have no choice but to sell right now?  

@Bhvbum There are people whose income depends on periodic dividend payments (quarterly, annually ect.) so when the stock market takes a serious dive, they get less money.  That's why it is a problem when that happens, because more often than not, the dividend recipients are children, widows, the disabled and the elderly.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

It is warmer in the southern hemisphere so the virus might not thrive there. 

@ninjawife This is what I'm thinking....hoping really that it will fizzzle out once the seasons change like the flu does each spring.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

It is warmer in the southern hemisphere so the virus might not thrive there. 

@ninjawife This is what I'm thinking....hoping really that it will fizzzle out once the seasons change like the flu does each spring.

A Brazilian who visited Italy has now been a confirmed case.  Hope springs eternal but viruses don't care what we hope.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~