Honored Contributor

Re: social media and puerto rico

It was reported in the last few days that Marshall's has continued to pay their Puerto Rico emplyee's salaries even though the store is not there anymore.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately it is a double-edged sword with the migration.  Last I checked 100,000 have left.

The Gov. of PR is concerned because those who can afford to leave have occupations that are going to be needed during and after the recovery.

The poorest of the poor are the ones left behind, and once conditions are at least semi-livable his concern is that those who left will not return.

Students are among the one who have sought to continue their education on the mainland.

Plus families here on the mainland can offer family left in PR the help to relocate.

Some have no families here.

The forgotten, lonely, and poor are suffering the most.Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

there are some wonderful storeis coming out of puerto rico via social media.

i follow chef jose andres and he is part of the group #chefsforpuertorico. you can follow him or the hastag on instagram.

they are currently in PONCE and set up a kitchen there. yesterday they prepared 5000 meals and delivered them. he said that ponce is still VERY LIMITED in communication and services. 5 days ago they set up a tent to make paella for 8000 people at the coliseo.

UPS gave #chefsforpuertorico 10000 bottes of water to be delivered with the meals.

really inspiring stories coming out of people helping people.....if you know of other social media accounts to follow please share them! 

I love Jose Andres' restaurants and during Restaurant Week I always try to go to Jaleo's in Arlington.  The food is good and I'd always heard he is good to his employees and now is giving back.  

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl

i do also.....have not been to the one in arlington, but we have been to the one in las vegas. excellent food and an even more excellent chef with caring and compassion for those who are suffering.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

TJ Maxx Owner Still Paying Employees In Puerto Rico, Even Those Who Can’t Work #PuertoRico

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tj-maxx-puerto-rico-employees-paid-tjx_us_5a01dd9fe4b066c2c03a7...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45  I used to work on the Arlington VA/DC line and  Jaleo's was walking distance.  He has one or two other restaurants in Bethesda and DC but the Arlington is the only one I've visited.  During restaurant week you get their tapas offerings in 4 courses - a small plate offering, an  appetizer, entree and dessert.  They had two or three options under each category and we really enjoyed it.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

TJ Maxx Owner Still Paying Employees In Puerto Rico, Even Those Who Can’t Work #PuertoRico

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tj-maxx-puerto-rico-employees-paid-tjx_us_5a01dd9fe4b066c2c03a7...

@sunshine45

That’s wonderful!  I’m glad you shared that.

Honored Contributor

I have to disagree with some of you, i do think if it had happened in Hawaii, things would be different,there is alot more money there,and there is a difference in how they are looked upon.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Of course it would have been different for Hawaii or the other Hawaiian  islands.  There are a lot of hotel investments, WW2 monuments, vacation houses owned by mainland people, etc.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate