Honored Contributor

social media and puerto rico

there are some wonderful storeis coming out of puerto rico via social media.

i follow chef jose andres and he is part of the group #chefsforpuertorico. you can follow him or the hastag on instagram.

they are currently in PONCE and set up a kitchen there. yesterday they prepared 5000 meals and delivered them. he said that ponce is still VERY LIMITED in communication and services. 5 days ago they set up a tent to make paella for 8000 people at the coliseo.

UPS gave #chefsforpuertorico 10000 bottes of water to be delivered with the meals.

really inspiring stories coming out of people helping people.....if you know of other social media accounts to follow please share them! 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: social media and puerto rico

@sunshine45  Thanks for sharing.  I am not on any social media but it will be nice to see other stories.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I imagine that if a typhoon had hit Honolulu........it would be up and running by now...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I imagine that if a typhoon had hit Honolulu........it would be up and running by now...........

?  Huh

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

?  Huh

Hawaii would have been considered "more important"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

It's good to see how much they have been able to accomplsh so far for the people there. Some wonderful stories coming out. The devastation was so widespread...

I know someone who is there and have seen before and after pictures...

It is so refreshing to see people helping people.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, @Desertdi, I think Hawaii would be in the same predicament as Puerto Rico.  They aren't contiguous either.  And there is another reason that I won't mention.

@Desertdi wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

?  Huh

Hawaii would have been considered "more important"

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

?  Huh

People tend to forget that Puerto Rico is 1200 miles from the mainland and that hurricane Maria didn't just evaporate after hitting Puerto Rico. It was between us and Puerto Rico. To reach Puerto Rico, you had to go through or around a fairly massive hurricane. That tends to limit the options to get massive amounts of aid to an island. Cargo ships trying to go through a hurricane are generally not a good idea. 

The reality is if you're on an island in the path of a hurricane, you're pretty much on your own until the hurricane is out of the area. Hurricanes don't just disappear after they hit an island. Maria was still between the US and Puerto Rico for several days after hitting Puerto Rico. Getting ships loaded with relief supplies through a hurricane to an island is not easy or safe. Planes can't land until the runways have been cleared and communications restored and planes have a limited capacity. If you're choosing to live on an island in an area in which hurricanes are common, you've got to expect to be without help for an extended period of time.

The income level, race, or voting history of the residents doesn't matter. When there's a big hurricane between an island 1200 miles away and the relief they need, it'll take a while to get them the help they need. Hurricane Maria didn't just disapppear after hitting Puerto Rico. It was between us and them. Ignoring that is kind of a little crazy.

Now if you're willing to be on a fully laden cargo ship cruising through a category four hurricane, more power to you. Most ship owners and their insurers tend to frown on the idea of cruising through a category four hurricane however, no matter how great the need for those on the island. Those huge waves, high winds, and the risk of losing the ship and crew tend to keep ships safely out of the way of big hurricanes. But, "People are dying!" Yeah, well killing the crews of the ships bringing relief supplies doesn't solve the problem, it just makes it worse. You've got to wait until it's safe (safer anyway) for the people coming to the rescue to get there, and with a category four hurricane in the path, it's not safe until the storm is out of the way.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

just a FYI......

THE VIEW has been doing stories on the situation in puerto rico this week. sonny hostin went there and traveled around the island to report back about the horrible situation. it is so sad to see what is NOT going on and how people are living. it brought tears to my eyes.

if you do not watch THE VIEW, you may want to catch the show online and fast forward to these parts.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

It's been over a month since the hurricane devastated P.R., and they are still in dire need of help.

There is NO excuse as to why help has been so slow to the people there once the storm was no longer a threat to anyone anywhere.

None.