Honored Contributor

Add Massage Envy to the growing list of company with S--xual harrasment charges

Each franchise is individually owned DH and I have twice had membership near our home, we have visited other locations in Florida.

Neither of us has every had an issue, they are always totally professional. 

I can imagine it happening but I put the onus on the owner for not checking out the credentials of the therapist

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Add Massage Envy to the growing list of company with S--xual harrasment charges

Judging from the distinguished names in the news about this issue fine credentials are not a deterrent. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Add Massage Envy to the growing list of company with S--xual harrasment charges

@TrixNor do I think the whole country really cares.  The abused care, their families in most cases care.  I have my doubts about many, many others - and I think the abuse is far, far wider spread than just those we've seen in recent news. 

But just because it's widespread - just because it has been going on for hundreds of years -  there's a time when it's ripe to see an end.  I hope for that to begin NOW in a bigger way than just with those current headliners.

Honored Contributor

I’m not sure if you mean employee to employee as far as Massage Envy, or employee with customer (which is what it sounds like from the OP).

What I see frequently on Yelp, where reviews are left for any and all types of legit massage places, are women (mostly under 30) who like to think they’re so desirable that no one could possibly not want them, and complain about “inappropriate touching” that sounds extremely doubtful to me - a “they WISH” type of thing. They write other reviews for other services (restaurants, etc) and write constantly about being ogled, hit on, waitress jealous...yeah sure honey - in your dreams.

Does it ever happen? Probably, sure. But does it happen as much as some of these people claim? I seriously doubt it. Why would they not have reported it to the owner, or police, and insisted upon pressing charges? In such instances they’d have nothing to lose by reporting it.

My opinion is sure to be unpopular in the current climate, but I have to say it - not every accusation is true. And what I’m afraid of is a general witch hunt (already starting, IMO) where every accusation is deemed 100% true, and every denial is categorically dismissed. At this point in time, all anyone has to do is accuse and it’s a done deal, the accused is guilty - the accusation is the trial, judge and jury. 

NO, sorry, my opinion does NOT mean I think all accusers are lying, either. And it does not mean I think everyone is making it all up. But I think common sense and logic need to be employed, across the board.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I’m not sure if you mean employee to employee as far as Massage Envy, or employee with customer (which is what it sounds like from the OP).

What I see frequently on Yelp, where reviews are left for any and all types of legit massage places, are women (mostly under 30) who like to think they’re so desirable that no one could possibly not want them, and complain about “inappropriate touching” that sounds extremely doubtful to me - a “they WISH” type of thing. They write other reviews for other services (restaurants, etc) and write constantly about being ogled, hit on, waitress jealous...yeah sure honey - in your dreams.

Does it ever happen? Probably, sure. But does it happen as much as some of these people claim? I seriously doubt it. Why would they not have reported it to the owner, or police, and insisted upon pressing charges? In such instances they’d have nothing to lose by reporting it.

My opinion is sure to be unpopular in the current climate, but I have to say it - not every accusation is true. And what I’m afraid of is a general witch hunt (already starting, IMO) where every accusation is deemed 100% true, and every denial is categorically dismissed. At this point in time, all anyone has to do is accuse and it’s a done deal, the accused is guilty - the accusation is the trial, judge and jury. 

NO, sorry, my opinion does NOT mean I think all accusers are lying, either. And it does not mean I think everyone is making it all up. But I think common sense and logic need to be employed, across the board.

Moonchilde,  I agree with everything you've said in your post.  You said everything I've been thinking these last few months, but you've said it better than I could.  My friend and I were discussing this a week or so ago, and she used the word "witchhunt" and I thought it was appropriate, and you used that term too.

I've lived a good many years and have not lived a sheltered life, so I certainly know that there is a lot of bad out there, lots of bad behavior, even "evil" behavior if you want to call it that.  But that doesn't mean every accusation is true.  It is very easy to tell falsehoods about someone if you want to hurt them, for whatever reason. 

I just would be very very careful in believing any of the things that are now being said, without first hand knowledge or real proof. It may not be "popular" to say these things, but it's how I feel, and I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

I have to agree with you, the person in question is now in jail on charges much like he is being accused of.

I crazy as it sounds some women might say something to boost their own self asteem or popularity, which sounds very high school to me.

We will never know which charges are true and which are pipe dreams

@Moonchilde wrote:

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although I stand by my “all accusations aren’t necessarily true” belief, upon further googling, it does seem as if the individual franchise owners and LE have been grossly negligent from what I’ve read. People did report the accusations/incidents to franchise management and nothing was done - and it went on in one instance at the same location(s). A few women went to LE on their own to press charges. All of the accusations are spread out over 15 years.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde, I think you are right about the possibility of a witch hunt. I see two sad results of that: One, all harassment gets lumped together so that it becomes difficult for the public to discern the serious from what might not be so serious (I could give one of the more obvious examples, but I don't want to ruin the thread). Second, the public will or may have already become inured to the whole thing after hearing accusations every single day and just lose interest in what is a very serious matter in this country.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

Sorry I can't keep quiet here.   Statistics show only 2 - 7% turn out to be false.  And almost 70% of abuse doesn't even get reported.  You really don't know why they would not report it??? They have a LOT to lose by reporting it.  These sorts of statements only perpetuate doubts and wrong thoughts about the abused but gives abusers more power.

You need to seriously inform and educate yourself about abuse.

Honored Contributor

The backlash is already causing a problem.  It's always been there, we've seen it here often enough.

Why wait so long?  Probably most never tell, the cost is too high.  Some lose their job or their career.  Some are threatened.  Some just didn't have the courage because they know many people will doubt them, shame them, call them liars.  This isn't difficult to understand.