Esteemed Contributor

Re: real reason Red Lobster closing stores

@PilatesLover wrote:

I ate at a RL once and would never repeat the experience.  We live in New England, how could we possibly have needed a Red Lobster chain restaurant around here?  LOL Smiley Very Happy 

It was so gross.  When they were carrying our plates to the table I could smell that the fish was on its way to spoiled.  The lettuce in the salads was literally black around the edges.  The only edible thing were those biscuit-y things.  I told them to take it back and we left it was so bad, and we're not the type of people who are mean to wait staff or cause a big to-do in restaurants.  The smell was that bad.

@PilatesLover   first of all I certainly don't think in New England you would need a RL ...totally agree with that !

we once ate at a restaurant that someone recommended years ago .   We were the only couple there at 6:30 for dinner.  That should have been a clue .  Anyways I ordered a shrimp cocktail ,  my favorite ,   On it's way to me I could smell it ,   When put in front of me I knew it had gone bad ,  it reeked!! Shrimp should not smell at least not that strong .  We told the waiter to give us the bill for our drinks and I didn't want the spoiled shrimp or to order an entree and we left .  We had never done that before , like you wrote we are not ones to cause "a big to-do" either we are always more then nice to wait staff they have a hard job dealing with the public I know I was a waitress when in my college.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Estellee wrote:

I havn't been there in over 10 years but I always remember those biscuits they brought to the table.

@Estellee  do love those biscuits!  I buy the box mix  at the grocery store and make them at home ,  not exactly the same   but very good still.

Esteemed Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@cindyNC   Dont even get me started on making lemonade, or asking for bunches of Splenda so they can take home and not purchase it themselves.  Ask for extra jelly packs, and didn't have toast!  I order water most times in restaurants but not because I'm cheap, just a better option to drink more water.  

My dad and his lady friend always went out with a couple that did the water/lemons/sugar in even nicer restaurants.  My dad said enough, and no longer wanted to eat out with them.  Use their phone to calculate 10-15 % not a penny more.  Always asked for extra sauce, rolls, butter, anything that might be free.  

I have purchased the biscuit mix in the grocery store.  Very good!  

@lynnie61   I really don't like going out with couples Like that .  I have a very dear friend thst we go out to dinner with and her husband does things like that.  My husband finds it so embarrassing always saying no more going out with them.   We still do as she is been a friend since grade school and I enjoy her company immensely.  She and I do lunch together most times.

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

@lynnie61  I had a friend who used to go out with her neighbors to Taco Bell  occasionally. 

She was very cheap.  She would order a $1 taco and a cup of water.  Then she would use most of the sliced lemons on the drink bar in her water to make lemonade.  Eventually they started charging her for the cup for her water........she was miffed.  I got a chuckle out of it and thought she got what she deserved. 

My in-laws do that.  They order water, no ice with lots and lots of lemon.  If they are paying they get annoyed if someone orders an iced tea or soda.

Esteemed Contributor

Our local Red Lobster isn't closing.  I think the last time I was at ours was 30-40 years ago.  I'm not a seafood lover and the only non-seafood item was a chicken sandwich and was generic tasting at best so I opted to never go back.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

We love RL and have two equidistant from us. One closed, and of course the employees weren't told.

When we first started going years ago it was so different. You walked in past a window where you could watch them fix the food. The quality was great. We still went under the Darden ownership, but we started to notice changes. It really tanked under the current owners, but we still go once in a while.

Someone said in addition to the "endless shrimp" debacle, people were staying longer at their tables, and others couldn't sit. There is almost always a wait at the two near us. That would impact business too. 

There are copycat recipes online for Cheddar Bay biscuits. I've made them with Bisquick - super easy. 

If the one we have left closes I will miss the Boston iced tea, but I can probably make that myself too. 

I used to like Walt's shrimp, but I think the shrimp at Cracker Barrel is a lot better. JMO of course!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Red Lobster closed down years ago near us. Why on earth you would put a chain restaurant in states where people/tourists can get Fresh seafood at local restaurants is a wonder to me. I knew they would not last here.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been to RL in over 20 years.  What did me in was the shrimp platter with different types of  shrimp.  The fried shrimp was from Sea pak that you can get at the grocery store in the frozen foods.  The prices were high then and the quality not so good.  

Respected Contributor

I don't know how anyone could eat more than the first plateful, anywhere. Haven't eaten in a Red Lobster in 30 years but it was never very good.

Honored Contributor

sad for the people who are losing their jobs.

very lucky to live in a "seafood state" where excellent seafood is in abundance. i was never impressed by red lobster.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein