Highlighted
Respected Contributor

"Wordle" - A Daily Word Game

Wordle's rules are disarmingly simple: 

Find the word of the day in six tries or fewer. 

Each guess must be a valid five letter word.

Letters in the correct space turn green, while letters that are part of the answer but in the wrong spot turn yellow.  

You have six chances to guess the day's secret five-letter word. Type in a word as a guess, and the game tells you which letters are or aren't in the word. The game is free and has no ads.

Only one word is offered up per day, and it is the same word for everyone.

Have you played Wordle?  If so, what is your opinion?

Honored Contributor

Re: "Wordle" - A Daily Word Game

I'll be honest....I've seen a few of them and haven't paid close enough attention, but when I look at those squares, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do at all.  And when I read your post, I still didn't understand.

I need to try again and concentrate and use your instructions.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@alliswell , I'm playing it every day now.  How long have you been playing?

I'm going to blame @scatcat for mentioning Wordle in a separate thread.  She mentioned how much fun it is and now I'm hopelessly addicted! 

Honored Contributor

Wordle - Blogs & Forums (qvc.com)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh it was a little confusing at first but basically:

You're trying to guess the word of the day and you have 6 chances to get it right.

1. You enter a 5 letter word of your choice.  

You get immediate feedback in the form of colored blocks.  If the block of a letter turns green, that means the word of the day has that exact letter in that exact spot.  So keep that letter in that spot and try another word that has that letter in that spot.

2. If a block is yellow, it means that letter IS in the word of the day BUT NOT in that exact spot.  So come up with another word that has that "yellow" letter somewhere else in the word.

3. If a letter is gray, don't use that letter again! It's not anywhere in the word of the day.

4. Using these hints, continue trying to guess the word of the day.  If all the letters are green, you guessed it correctly!

Hope I got this right but I hope someone else will chime in if I made a mistake.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@alliswell , I'm playing it every day now.  How long have you been playing?

I'm going to blame @scatcat for mentioning Wordle in a separate thread.  She mentioned how much fun it is and now I'm hopelessly addicted! 

@Kalli 

Actually, I have not played it yet!  I read a newspaper article about Wordle:

Jan. 3, 2022

'Josh Wardle, a software engineer in Brooklyn, knew his partner loved word games, so he created a guessing game for just the two of them. As a play on his last name, he named it Wordle.  But after the couple played for months, and after it rapidly became an obsession in his family’s WhatsApp group once he introduced it to relatives, Mr. Wardle thought he might be on to something and released it to the rest of the world in October.  

On Nov. 1, 90 people played.

Just over two months later, more than 300,000 people played.  It’s been a meteoric rise for the once-a-day game, which invites players to guess a five-letter word, in a similar manner as the guess-the-color game Mastermind.

After guessing a five-letter word, the game tells you whether any of your letters are in the secret word and whether they are in the correct place. You have six tries to get it right.

Few such popular corners of the internet are as low-frills as the website, which Mr. Wardle built himself as a side project.

There are no ads or flashing banners; no windows pop up or ask for money. There is merely the game on a black background.

“I think people kind of appreciate that there’s this thing online that’s just fun,” Mr. Wardle said in an interview on Monday. “It’s not trying to do anything shady with your data or your eyeballs. It’s just a game that’s fun.”

This is not Mr. Wardle’s first brush with suddenly capturing widespread attention. Formerly a software engineer for Reddit, he created two collaborative social experiments on the site, called The Button and Place, that each were phenomena in their moment.

Esteemed Contributor

@alliswell  I tried it when @scatcat posted about the other day. As I said then, I think it's good practice for Scrabble players. I wish you could play more than one time a day, because it's over so quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@alliswell  I tried it when @scatcat posted about the other day. As I said then, I think it's good practice for Scrabble players. I wish you could play more than one time a day, because it's over so quickly.

@PA Mom-mom 

And that's why I like it - because it's over quickly so it doesn't eat up a lot of my time.  That's what crossword puzzles are for.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just tried it for the first time and got it on the last line <phew!>

Can you get more than one word a day?

Wonder if everyone gets the same word?

Frequent Contributor

My friends and I are also hooked.  We each play daily when we can, and then "share" straight from the website to a group text.  When you share like this it DOES NOT show the words that you used to arrive at your answer, only the green, yellow, grey squares.

I am visual so I actually work it out with paper and pencil. Also for your first couple of words keep in mind the Wheel of Fortune R S T L N E.

Josh Wardle has not trademarked this name or any part of this game, and this week another game developer put a "look alike" called Wordle-The App on both Apple and Android and then boasted about how much money he would make on Twitter.  There was SOO much backlash that both stores shut him down!! 

Smiley Happy