Respected Contributor

Re: "The Greatest Generation" Survivors are Still Great

This was, truly, the greatest generation and we will never see the likes of them again.  My father was a WWII veteran.  He enlisted at 37 years of age and was married which meant he did not have to serve and was not drafted.  He felt it was his duty.  He was part of the D Day invasion into Normandy, A Cpl. with the 1301 Army Corps. of Engineers.  He spoke very highly of the French people and all that they went through.  He was very close to a French family and when they had to move out and head toward Paris, they gave him the only thing of value they had left which was a pocket watch but the jewels had been removed by the Germans but it meant so much to them and my father meant to much to them and the kindness of the American GI, they were insistent he have it. My father was part of the liberation of Paris and from there, he was sent into Berlin.  The horrors of this war remained with him all his life.  He did not speak of it as most did not.  He passed away in 1969.  

My heart fills and my eyes tear when I see this men who served so proudly and I pray for them that they were able to come home to those who loved them.

I am proud of all who currently serve and am grateful as well because it is because of them and those before them and those still to come who make my freedom possible.  My God bless them and keep them all safe.

Esteemed Contributor

It'll be a sad day when the last WW2 veteran passes.

It'll be a sad day indeed.

Smiley Sad

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

My dad was at Normandy. He was a medic in WW2. He didn't talk about the war until his later years, and then thought it was important that my child know of his experience. One thing he mentioned about D-Day was that some boats let the troops out in rather deep water and some had trouble swimming to shore and/or keeping their rifles dry. My father wanted my child to have his uniform and medals, and I have them stored. I also have his diary he wrote during his service; there are time periods in which he didn't write, and he starts by waving good-bye to his younger brother through the bus window. I'm more sensitive now to his age when he landed at Normandy; a boy/young man of 19. Those who served have my deepest respect.

Honored Contributor

God bless every one of them!

Esteemed Contributor

I was a young child but remember it as though it was yesterday.  The young boys and young men either being drafted or volunteering and the fear my father would be drafted, which he wasn't.  Yes, they are the greatest generation, God Bless those still living and those who passed will rest in peace.  So many lives were lost to keep America safe, may it never have to happen again.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

At the state dinner, the president also mentioned that the Queen served in the war as a truck mechanic....amazing!
Honored Contributor

So much respect for those who Served.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras