Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I haven't heard mentioned that the banks have been closed.  Since you can only do drive through transactions and not go physically inside to do transactions, could this be part of the problem also?  I don't know about all over, but arlound here, I know they don't accept coins to be cashed in through drive through which I understand.  I would think this could cause a shortage of coins???  I guess I am in the minority because I still pay cash at most stores.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

That is correct there is a shortage of coins.  No Con-Game

I went to the bank Mid-June, someone came in after me asking for a roll of quarters.  The bank tellers were scrambling to find her quarters to put into a roll for her.  They said they had not been able to order coins for some time and that there was a coin shortage from the US Mint.  A week later all of the stores near my stopped taking cash at the Self Scan registers.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I haven't heard mentioned that the banks have been closed.  Since you can only do drive through transactions and not go physically inside to do transactions, could this be part of the problem also?  I don't know about all over, but arlound here, I know they don't accept coins to be cashed in through drive through which I understand.  I would think this could cause a shortage of coins???  I guess I am in the minority because I still pay cash at most stores.  

I still pay cash for everything.  Now that bank lobbies are starting to open, more people will start bringing in rolls of coins.  Know I have some I need to take in.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I pretty much still use cash for most purchases yet and always try to have the correct change.Guess I'm still old school.

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I pretty much still use cash for most purchases yet and always try to have the correct change.Guess I'm still old school.

Getting and receiving cash is one of the prime ways to get colds, flu and now covid especially from cashiers who do this over and over all day.  They have handled everyone else's money and germs befor you.  I have the cash for back up but now use credit cards for everything so not having to handle it. 

I'm "stay well" school.  

Honored Contributor

We live in a state that has a "bottle bill". We were told at the bank that that was the reason for the coin shortage.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

Google is your friend:

Daniel Soques, an assistant professor of economics at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, called the situation a "perfect storm" of circumstances born out of the pandemic, during which businesses that deal heavily in coins, such as laundromats, may have closed, while the fear of getting the coronavirus by touching currency may have spurred people to avoid physical monetary transactions altogether.

Coinstar, which operates about 22,000 coin-cashing kiosks nationwide, said volume slowed amid state and city lockdowns. New coin production was also hampered at the U.S. Mint's production facilities in March and April.

Honored Contributor

When this shortage first was noted, our local businesses were encouraging us to use more cash to increase their coin availability.

Now, all self-checkouts (the few we have) are cards only.

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

My husband went to McDonald's the other day and was told that it's a universal problem that the resturants have no coin charge to give . This sounds like a con-game to me. Has anyone heard this any where , even on the news ?

Our local news a couple of days ago said that Kroger will no longer be dealing with change.

Respected Contributor

I usually pay both ways, cash when I can, card for others, but when I went to Chipotle last week, no cash was excepted.  Ok, I didn’t need the change back, but it was ok to tip in cash?  I have no problem if they wanted cards for Covid/germs, but some people don’t have cards.  So if someone had a large order and only had cash, what would they do?   Throw the food away and not let the customer pay in cash?  Just curious.