Respected Contributor

My husband went to McDonald's the other day and was told that it's a universal problem that the resturants have no coin charge to give . This sounds like a con-game to me. Has anyone heard this any where , even on the news ?

Trusted Contributor

I've been to the pharmacy, the grocery store, and a restaurant for a pick-up order and all places had signs posted to please give exact change or if you don't have that to use your debit or credit card instead.  They also cited the coin shortage.  Never heard anything about it until I saw it at these places.  Wonder why all of a sudden there is a coin shortage.  Maybe someone else on these board has heard more.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

People are afraid of touching cash money (coins and bills) because of the virus.   It has been on the news.     

(I have not used cash since March.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains religious content.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Makes sense there is one since most businesses have been closed and people are shopping online and using delivery services where you prepay and stores are requesting card payment only.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: "Shortages of coins"

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou wrote:

My husband went to McDonald's the other day and was told that it's a universal problem that the resturants have no coin charge to give . This sounds like a con-game to me. Has anyone heard this any where , even on the news ?

Yes, it's true.

It's not some kind of a con or some kind of a joke.

As has been mentioned, it's due to businesses being closed down.

There hasn't been enough cash/coins out in circulation, so now there is a shortage everywhere.

We've even been asked to pay with exact change in certain places--to even pay with (loose) change if we have it.

Editing to add, also because of the reason that desertDi gave in her post--some places not wanting people to use cash/change but wanting us to use credit/debit cards because they didn't want to touch/exchange any money with us due to the Covid Virus. 

Frequent Contributor

At Goodwill last week they asked for exact change or credit card only now. 

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou I read about it somewhere.  Really doesn't bother me because I use either a debit card or a credit card for practically all of my purchases.  I carry very little paper money and no coin money.

Respected Contributor

All the stores in our area are short in change too due to a lack of circulation of coins (stores being closed, asking for card payment only during the initial outbreak). 

Respected Contributor

This was mentioned on the boards a month ago when it was announced . There is a sign at my Credit Union drive up saying a limit of $20 for individuals and $200 for businesses in quarters per week. The news the other night said it will all even out in time and is temporary.