Honored Contributor

Re: "Hearting" a Post Here - What Exactly Does it Mean?

@BeccaLou wrote:

Yes use the reply and say what you feel.And if you do click on the heart you can just click it twice and it should remove your heart (Click).

You can also go up into the right-hand corner of your post where the three dots are, click on that, and it gives you the option to "revoke" the heart you gave.

Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

From my phone, if I just tap the word heart again, it will erase it.
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

I was just reading a thread where some posters here were talking about the September 11 attacks, and how it affected them.

I wanted to acknowledge that I read the post and that I understand what they were writing about, which of course was very sad. I clicked the heart, but to me it felt like I was loving what they posted, which isn't what I meant at all.

I wish there was another way to acknowledge that we read the post and that we're terribly sorry about what the poster wrote besides clicking the heart.

Any suggestions?

Hi @sunala. I understand what you’re saying. “Hearting” does seem like a casual way of saying, “Yes, I read this post”. If the post, after I put my ❤️, seems particularly moving to me or I have a comment to explain why I placed a heart, I then post a reply. I do a lot of replying. I find it’s a lot more personal to answer the post personally.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

To me, the heart does not necessarily mean that I agree with what the poster said. It is just a way of expressing some sort of emotion: "I empathize with you." "That's funny." "I'm sorry to hear that." "My thoughts are with you."  It can mean whatever you want it to mean, just as a real heart feels many emotions. Basically, it is just a quick way of responding when you want to leave a "message" but either don't have the time or don't know exactly what to say. Let's face it...we live in a rush, rush world.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Trusted Contributor

I noticed that some people who start a thread will heart all who reply as a way of acknowledging their participation and not necessarily applauding their opinion.  I too have done that but it does give the recipient the wrong message if you are in complete disagreement with their opinion.  But who cares anyway, you know?  I can't honestly remember who all I heart until I see the list on the left margin.  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

You can also retrieve it from a post you hearted if you did it by mistake or for whatever reason.

Honored Contributor

A happy post hearted may say - hey that's funny and I like it

A sad post hearted may just say - I feel you and I understand

Sometimes I follow the heart with the quote and add my 2 cents.

A heart is always a good thing = I see you, I feel you, I hear you

Honored Contributor

I agree that a heart can mean a number of things. It's all we have so I find myself using it sometimes even when I don't agree with some of the things that have been posted. Sometimes I heart because I like the way the person expressed her/himself. Sometimes if it's an emotional post, I heart to say I get it. Often someone will ask a question. I will answer it and then that person will reply with a "Thank you". I heart so they will know I read and appreciate their thanks because others don't bother or even acknowledge that someone went out of their way to help/answer a question.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

A heart to me, means: I agree, or hugs to you at this rough time in your life. If it doesn't say what you really want relayed, post your own reply.  It is the only way I see that that can happen.