Honored Contributor

Re: "Celebration of Life" Service?

@fairydogmother,

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious son. Parents who lose a child I wish this never happened and I understand how you must have been in such shock.

I think grief lasts forever, just different forms of it, until one day we can think of them without tears but a peace and acceptance. And sometimes even remembering the happy moments that stay with us too forever.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@fairydogmother,

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious son. Parents who lose a child I wish this never happened and I understand how you must have been in such shock.

I think grief lasts forever, just different forms of it, until one day we can think of them without tears but a peace and acceptance. And sometimes even remembering the happy moments that stay with us too forever.

Thank you for such kind words. Yes the grief lasts forever. I have learned to live with it. 

Harmonize the World
Valued Contributor

@PreKteacher wrote:

In some cases, "Celebration of Life" is the same thing as a funeral. I have been to two in the last couple of months. One was in a church and was just like a funeral. The other was held at a restaurant and was just a party with no formal program. In both cases, the families asked that a donation to a charity be given in lieu of flowers, so we did so. 

That was wonderful.

Respected Contributor

Fairydogmother you are a strong woman. Someone told me that you never get over the loss of a child you just learn how to cope with the loss on a daily basis. God bless you and your family.
Valued Contributor

I agree with you.  Even when you pass in your sleep it isn't peaceful.  People experience some sort of pain before they die even if it is in their sleep.

How do you know that? I'm not being argumentative but it has never occured to me that you can feel pain even when you die in your sleep. And I've never heard of this before, so I'm wondering how you know this? (maybe a health care proressional, undertaker, or.....?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A health professional told me that whatever the reason is that a person dies a heart attack is involved. It makes sense because when a person dies their heart stops.

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB   No, I would not think of you as a "stick in the mud".  It is just two different types of events after someone as transitioned.  You are describing a traditional funeral service and the Celebration of Life is people getting together and honoring their family/friend by sharing their memories of the deceased.  Both are acceptable and beautiful ways of showing respect for the one who has passed.