Honored Contributor

As far as not moving out, I don't see that as your business.  However, we're always hearing see something say something from the police.  If these people are truly dealing drugs out of the home, it affects not only the property values, but the safety of the neighborhood.  

I have a different situation with my neighbors.  They have disappeared.  They've been gone for 2 months now.  Even the power company has come and cut off their power.  They left everything behind including 2 perfectly good cars (one of them a BMW).  One of my other neighbors thinks we should contact somebody about the situation, but I don't know who we would contact or what we would say.

Honored Contributor

Re: problems next door

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

As far as not moving out, I don't see that as your business.  However, we're always hearing see something say something from the police.  If these people are truly dealing drugs out of the home, it affects not only the property values, but the safety of the neighborhood.  

I have a different situation with my neighbors.  They have disappeared.  They've been gone for 2 months now.  Even the power company has come and cut off their power.  They left everything behind including 2 perfectly good cars (one of them a BMW).  One of my other neighbors thinks we should contact somebody about the situation, but I don't know who we would contact or what we would say.

@Icegoddess.  That’s very strange. This may sound weird but maybe they are still inside if you get my drift. I watch a lot of the ID channel.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ

It appeared to me that they left of their own accord.  I'm just wondering if something happened to them afterwards.  The mail has also been stopped and I think it may have been stopped before they left.  Also, they usually parked at least one of the cars out on the street, something that really bugged a lot of us because it blocked the view.  But, before they left, they parked both of the cars up close to the house as they usually do when they leave for a few days.  It appeared they had just bought a new SUV before they left, and that vehicle is not there.  

I wastch a lot of ID too.  In fact, it's been on all afternoon today.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Now that sounds scary.  Do you know for sure they actually left?  I hate to say what I am thinking but is it possible they are in the house, deceased?  Perhaps under the circumstances you should contact the police just in case there was foul play.  Who walks away from their house leaving two cars behind?  I can't think of who else you would contact other than the police.  Good luck, hope nothing serious is going on.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

It appeared to me that they left of their own accord.  I'm just wondering if something happened to them afterwards.  The mail has also been stopped and I think it may have been stopped before they left.  Also, they usually parked at least one of the cars out on the street, something that really bugged a lot of us because it blocked the view.  But, before they left, they parked both of the cars up close to the house as they usually do when they leave for a few days.  It appeared they had just bought a new SUV before they left, and that vehicle is not there.  

Is the lawn/yard being taken care of?  If so perhaps you can catch the workers and ask questions.  If the lawn/yard has become overgrown to the point that it might be in violation contact code enforcement.  That might spur some kind of activity or inquiry.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

Well that is just odd.  But perhaps they have relatives out of the country and may-be an emergency required them to relocate there.  Is the property (grass) being maintained by anyone? 

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

Is the lawn/yard being taken care of?  If so perhaps you can catch the workers and ask questions.  If the lawn/yard has become overgrown to the point that it might be in violation contact code enforcement.  That might spur some kind of activity or inquiry.

@Marp, the lawn is not being taken care of.  He spent all summer re-edging and watering, and trying to get grass to grow under the trees.  But, I haven't seen anybody there since they left.  Someone might've mowed right after they left since it doesn't seem to be as overgrown as I would expect in 2 months, and someone piled papers against one of the trees.  It's a bit overgrown now, but not to the point of being able to call Code Enforcement about it.  At this point, that might not happen until next year. 

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Are your neighbors bothering or threatening you? If not then I would just ignore them and mind my own business, to say it bluntly.

I agree.

And it's perfectly possible that they were given some kind of extension or there may be another legitimate reason why they haven't moved out that the OP isn't aware of.  This is definitely a "mind your own business" situation unless there's a really compelling reason to make a complaint or inquiry.

I have to disagree.

How this is handled is very important, but people who know/see something need to report it. 

Neighborhoods (and entire cities) fall to drugs, crime and gangs because of people 'minding their own business'. 

My neighborhood IS MY BUSINESS, and everyone else's who lives there. 

If we want safe streets and neighborhoods where people can live without fear, the people living there have to be the solution. 

Again, how it is handled is important, meaning OP shouldn't confront anyone, but she should report what she sees and knows to authorities, and make it difficult/impossible for criminal elements to be there.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Are your neighbors bothering or threatening you? If not then I would just ignore them and mind my own business, to say it bluntly.

I agree.

And it's perfectly possible that they were given some kind of extension or there may be another legitimate reason why they haven't moved out that the OP isn't aware of.  This is definitely a "mind your own business" situation unless there's a really compelling reason to make a complaint or inquiry.

I have to disagree.

How this is handled is very important, but people who know/see something need to report it. 

Neighborhoods (and entire cities) fall to drugs, crime and gangs because of people 'minding their own business'. 

If we want safe streets and neighborhoods where people can live without fear, the people living there have to be the solution. 

Again, how it is handled is important, meaning OP shouldn't confront anyone, but she should report what she sees and knows to authorities, and make it difficult/impossible for criminal elements to be there.

I didn't say she should simply ignore it.  I said she should mind her business "unless there's a compelling reason to make a complaint or inquiry".

I understand that she's characterized these people as lowlifes, and suspects they sell drugs.  If she thought criminal activity was going on all this time, why didn't she speak up before now?  She doesn't like these people, for whatever reason, and she's focused on when they'll be leaving, but her information about what rights they have to remain in the house very well might be incorrect.  

No one here has implied that she should allow rampant criminal activity to go on without speaking up.  I was just offering a possible explanation as to why they have not yet moved out.  

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I agree.

I have to disagree.

I didn't say she should simply ignore it.  I said she should mind her business "unless there's a compelling reason to make a complaint or inquiry".

I understand that she's characterized these people as lowlifes, and suspects they sell drugs.  If she thought criminal activity was going on all this time, why didn't she speak up before now?  She doesn't like these people, for whatever reason, and she's focused on when they'll be leaving, but her information about what rights they have to remain in the house very well might be incorrect.  

No one here has implied that she should allow rampant criminal activity to go on without speaking up.  I was just offering a possible explanation as to why they have not yet moved out.  

I really hate quotes within quotes, but this is the best way I can address this particular issue.

One's "neighborhood" can be a few feet away or a couple of acres/miles.  So please keep that in mind when responding to the initial post.  Urban, rural, suburban can made loads of difference between what we see, hear or trip across.  

Sadly, there is NO place where people can live without fear.  Our nation is a mobile one and we don't travel by wagon train any longer.  We can call the police, a sheriff or another local official all we want.  Nothing guarantees safety.

Incidentally, the OP has vanished from the conversation, which is not unusual for her/him.

Have a safe and great night.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~