Trusted Contributor

painting wooden outdoor furniture

I "inherited" an outdoor wooden or patio benchseat or loveseat from a neighbor whose parents passed away and now they are renting out the house. It is a terribly drab  dark green. I am wanting to repaint it with something cheerful and bright. What type of paint do you think is best for painting outdoor wood furniture.. I will be asking a handy man to do the work as i am no longer able. I did a project like this myself  many years ago. It was so much work but it came out beautiful. Took an old bench and 2 chairs that a then neighbor gave to me striped down a terrible color of stain, and just painted it white. It sat on my mothers porch for years.  I would laugh everytime i would see the neighbors drive by and look at the porch.

Frequent Contributor

Re: painting wooden outdoor furniture

Many years ago I painted a redwood picnic set with very expensive boat paint.  It stood up to the elements beautifully.  Hope you fnd something that works for you.

Honored Contributor

Best to ask for professional advice at a paint store, including questions about prepping before painting. 

Marine paint came to my mind too but maybe they have something better now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@webbgarner1 I agree that is it a good idea to speak to someone knowledgeable about paint.  Be careful about big box stores.  I find they hire summer help who are quick to make recommendations but don't really know what they are talking about.

I have done several restorations on wood pieces where I used stain instead of paint.  I sanded off the old paint and stained.  It is a lot of work but a great makeover.  

I also stripped and repainted metal tulip chairs which turned out beautifully.  I wore a mask...worried about lead in old paint (these chairs were decades old).

Good luck with your project.  Would love to see a before and after.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom1 Thanks, good info. I bet your pieces are beautiful.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  Thanks, I will check into that.

Trusted Contributor

@weight watcher  Thanks for the info, good sugestion, never thought about boat paint.