Super Contributor
Im having spinal fusion has anyone had this done, does it hurt and how long until you were moving around? Thank you
Honored Contributor
Your doctor didn't give you this information?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
I was so scared I really don't remember
Trusted Contributor
I have had 2 cervical fusions - front and back - and my DH had a lower back fusion. We are a fun couple! I assume yours is lower, since you said spinal. Not to worry, it's uncomfortable but you'll get through it! When you wake up you'll be a little disoriented, but they'll have given you some great meds so there should be no pain. But if there is one thing I would recommend is to discuss your post surgery pain management PRIOR to surgery. If you're like us, you've been on pain meds for awhile. For some reason surgeons order minimal pain medication post surgery and don't understand that their patients are there because they've been in serious pain. They think that because they've removed the cause of pain, patients miraculously don't need proper pain medication. But, as you probably know, your body builds a tolerance. So what you're going to need for pain may differ from someone who hasn't already been taking medication for awhile. We had our pain management doctor talk to the surgeon and explain what will be needed prior to and after the surgery. Seems kind of silly, but it's amazing what doctors who are not in the field don't know about pain. After surgery I had Percocet 10 mg and Dilaudid, alternating 4 hrs. for the 1st 24 hrs. - pretty strong stuff! You should be fine, but do not hesitate to make some noise or ask your loved one to make the noise for you if you are in pain. The nurses are wonderful and are familiar with your surgery and post OP care, but you have to communicate your needs. If you are in pain, they can adjust your meds, but only with the approval of your doctor, so you have to tell them! Sometimes the doctor will have already left an alternate order for something, but again, you have to tell them. My DH was in the hospital for 5 days, realistically the first 2 were not fun, but you'll be fine. The main thing to remember is that in several weeks, after some rest and physical therapy, you'll be so much better than before your surgery! Good luck! Btw, when you are discharged, make sure you have your pain meds ready. I was discharged before I was due for my next pain med, but by the time the paperwork was done, the wheelchair arrived and I was in the car for an hour ride home, it would have been two hours past the time for my next pain med. Luckily my DH brought it with him - it would have been a very long ride home!
Honored Contributor

If I were you, I'd get another appt., and take along a friend as a 2nd set of ears. Everyone should do this. As we get older and our minds have to process new information, I believe we need a 2nd set of ears so we don't miss anything. It's either that or take a small recorder with us to have those answers. There's what seems like to me, questions that don't come up till later. I've taken to writing questions down and getting them discussed at the next meeting with the person who has my answers. It is a shock to the system to take in new/scary sometimes info. The professional just keeps talking and we've stopped listening, to try and take things in. For the younger generations, please assist some senior in your life in areas of this kind. It's not something you might think about with all your senses and quicker reflexes. Besides that, you might be able to ask questions and get information for the senior, they may be in shock and can't take it in. Fear in a senior person will shut off their hearing, when it could be very important to listen. This is very important. The senior won't be prepared since they haven't "heard" what the important things are the doctor has just told them. Sometimes they're processing things out of fear and in-head thinking and talking to themselves. Please help a senior in your life out this way. It's been a learning process for me in helping my folks and dealing with life in the last 5-7 years.

Super Contributor

My mom who is 82 had one last June. She was in the hospital 4 days and went to rehab at a local facility for 10 days and she's been home alone ever since doing very well.

Honored Contributor

What difference does it make? There are simple spinal fusions and very complex spinal fusions. The level of the spine is factor. The patient's comorbidities are a factor. People have different pain thresholds. What is very painful for one person is just uncomfortable for another person. If you really are going to have some type of spinal fusion, personal experiences won't tell you anything at all. You should have a discussion with your surgeon. Write down all the questions you have and ask for literature and pamphlets (the have them) and ask him to speak in terms you can understand.

Contributor

I did what crystaltree said I wrote down all my questions like will I have pain, how long is the surgery will I walk after I wasn't able to walk now I use a walker my back was very bad. Whenever you think of something write it down put the list in your purse. I had lamanectamy L-2-5 lumbar fusion the doctor was really nice and explained it to me not sure how to spell that word. This doctor didn't use screws he used stem cells and I never had back pain again even after the surgery I had other major surgeries and this was my easiest one unbelievable I had to wear a brace for three months and had physical thearpy. I talked to people who had screws and had problems and pain after than some went to my doctor and Dr. Edward Scheid corrected their back. I heard that some doctors won't do the surgery for the hard ones Dr. Scheid will do their surgery he is a neurosurgeon a brilliant doctor he does brain surgery and back surgery. The group is called Capital Region Neurosurgery in Slingerlands N. Y. they are located outside Albany N. Y. they have other doctors in the group but I think Dr. Edward Scheid is the best from what I hearrd . Maybe you have a doctor who does stem cell in your area we are lucky his group is the only one that does it here.

Frequent Contributor

I had 2 Cervical Spine Surgeries (Fusions). The first one was in May 2003 (C3 -C4) and the second was in Sept 2004 (C6-C7). The surgeon told me I would not have any pain when I woke up and I was shocked. No pain whatsoever. The only problem I had with (C3-C4) was the brace I had to wear 24/7. It was more like a helmet and it covered my entire head. Sleeping with it was a problem but having a recliner helped.I was given 2 braces and had to shower in it also then change to the dry one.

The pain before the surgeries was unbelievable. Labor pain was nothing like that. I now have 8 screws and 2 plates in my neck and so far so good.

Both surgeries were in the morning and I was discharged the following morning