Respected Contributor

Re: manners really table manners

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i did not mean to be mean.  i just was commenting on how much we have changed in terms of what is considered good manners.  andi like to sop up sauce as well as anyone with good bread.

But you think that doing so in public is bad manners.  I have done that in public a number of times.  The sauce is excellent, the bread is good, there's some sauce left, there's some bread left.  I don't see what the issue is.

Nothing if you're eating alone but it's unattractive and unappetizing for those who find themselves at table with a plate mopper.

Never bothered me to see another plate mopper in action.

Unless they’re taking their bread to mop up the sauce on my plate! LOL

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

It is such a waste to leave a good sauce "un-sopped"!!!!!  Doesn't bother me a bit if I'm sitting at a table with "soppers" or "moppers".  They look like they are thoroughly enjoying the food.....which is what it's all about to me!

I agree.  And it's a compliment to the chef!

Honored Contributor

Of course those who wash their plate with their bread don't mind others doing the same. I find it disgusting so, for me, one and done. I just decline invitations to lunch or dinner if they are to be included. Bad table manners ruin my appetite.

Esteemed Contributor

Here are some interesting customs from around the world.

I think some people here would faint if they saw any of these happen.

But as they say, "When in Rome....."

https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/burping-good-manners-and-other-etiquette-surprises-around-world-...

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i did not mean to be mean.  i just was commenting on how much we have changed in terms of what is considered good manners.  andi like to sop up sauce as well as anyone with good bread.

But you think that doing so in public is bad manners.  I have done that in public a number of times.  The sauce is excellent, the bread is good, there's some sauce left, there's some bread left.  I don't see what the issue is.

Nothing if you're eating alone but it's unattractive and unappetizing for those who find themselves at table with a plate mopper.

Never bothered me to see another plate mopper in action.

Unless they’re taking their bread to mop up the sauce on my plate! LOL

Well, that's when I pick up my soup spoon and hit them upside their head.

Esteemed Contributor

Mopper/Sopper?  Present!  I do it.  Some dishes are saucy and/or brothy and served with extra bread meant to sopped.

I'm not looking at other people and judging their table manners, I'm there to enjoy my food,  Someone cleaning their plate with a piece of bread doesn't affect my life.

Didn't the OP start a different restaurant/manners post about men wearing hats while at the dining table?

Honored Contributor

He was learning from your good example....sometimes that is the only way when you have not been taught as a child
Honored Contributor

I think just ordering the meal to take home is the best way to avoid seeing bad manners....they are everywhere. Sry good manners would get my attention sooner than bad ones now....how sad.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Of course those who wash their plate with their bread don't mind others doing the same. I find it disgusting so, for me, one and done. I just decline invitations to lunch or dinner if they are to be included. Bad table manners ruin my appetite.

And people watching my table "manners" gives me indigestion.

P.S.  Don't eat in France.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:
@CANDLEQUEEN- I think Kylie is gorgeous. The work shes had done has enhanced her beautifully. I hope she leaves well enough alone. With that said, Kendall is just spectacular and naturally so.

Kendall has had work done too.  I think hers a more sublte than the others.