Trusted Contributor

manners really table manners

when did we lose our table manners?  i eat out sometimes and i am shocked by what i see as a lack of good table manners.  some people will drink, their soup rather use a soup spoon.  they don't even know how to correctly use a spoup spoon.

then there is the sopping up of sauce with bread.

i know we all use these thingswhen weare at home but in public?

Honored Contributor

Re: manners really table manners

I can't say I pay too much attention to how other people are eating their meals, when I'm in a restaurant.  Unless they're disrupting my own meal, it doesn't bother me.  Sometimes there are cultural differences and I'm not about to ask anyone why they're not eating the way I would.

Honored Contributor

That's not my obsevation.  Try dining out at better places where you are likely to encounter people with better manners.

Trusted Contributor

I don’t pay attention to what others are doing, when I’m dining out.  And I’m shocked and truly concerned about a lot more than table manners.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't pay attention, either.

Unless a person loudly passes gas, burps, or blows their nose with a honk,  I couldn't tell you who used a spoon and who did not use a spoon.

And what is up with "we" lost our manners??

I haven't lost mine.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

A lot of people have and use good manners.

I don't know where you're eating though...

Esteemed Contributor

Unless someone is dining with the Queen, or is eating at The Four Seasons, I really don't care how other patrons eat their food.

Much ado....

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Depending on the dish, a good crusty bread is perfect for “sopping up the sauce”. I’ve been known to sip a brothy soup from a mug. I didn’t realize I was being judged. Ask me if I care. 😂
Esteemed Contributor

I have absolutely no problem with the "sopping" up of sauce with a piece of bread.

It's a long standing Italian custom and tradition.

However, it is suggested that when doing it in a public setting, you use a fork and not your fingers to grab the bread.

Honored Contributor

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/20/18/1828664930-Emily_Post_Quote.pnghttp://toc.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/14/37/540fcca29cda6_-_manners_willkie-lg.jpg